DIATAMACEOUS EARTH - FOOD GRADE

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gwenivere, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Gwenivere

Gwenivere New Egg

Jan 28, 2012
    Hi:
    I am new to this site and plan to get chickens this spring. I was reading some articles on this site about DE, as I was considering using it to keep the smell down around my chicken house. I read that people put this stuff in their chicken feed, on the chickens and around the coop. I googled "DE" and discovered that it can kill bees, as it destoys their exoskelton. Anything that can kill lice and such can certainly kill insects such as bees. That I definitely do not want to kill, and we need bees to survive, and they are disappearing in record numbers. Once the bees are gone, we will be too, as our food supply will disappear. I hope readers on this site read more about the DE to reconsider on whether to use it or not. That scares me that so many people think it is organic, kills insects, so it must be good - that is not true! Does anyone have a suggestion for something organic that would keep the smell down in and around the coop? Many thanks!

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I think wood shavings are helpful in keeping the smell down. Just make sure you don't use cedar.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] Give the wood shavings a try. [​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! So glad you joined us! I didn't realize about the bees? Good thing to remember. Although, its said to help with worms and such, if put in your chickens food.

4. FlyRobinFly

FlyRobinFly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2011
    [​IMG] from Washington State!
    That's great that you are doing research about what you use with your chickens. I am currently using a pelletized wood product that works well for smell control.

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. Super lola

Super lola New Egg

Nov 21, 2011
    I use the deep litter method (think composting in the coop) using a combo of hay and very dry wood shavings. I rake around everyday to stir things up & sometimes I throw in a couple of handful's of torn mint. I have never had a odor problem and the girls are warm & dry. Your right bees are very important! I love people who read labels and do research.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC. I have a bag of DE and I'm not sure if it would keep the smell down in your coop or not. You could try it.

~AnnElise

9. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    I use deep litter and mix in some PDZ- it's a stall smell remover sold for horses, but its safe for chickens. It absorbs the ammonia.

10. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin, Texas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by