1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Diatomaceous Earth 100% food grade?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cacoops, Feb 3, 2014.

1. cacoops

cacoops Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2013
    would love to hear any/every ones opinion about giving Diatomaceous earth 100% food grade to chickens and dogs .Ive done a little research and I would be strictly giving this as a parasites/worms preventative. any other benefits of the use would be great, however I need the opinions, experiences and knowledge of the BYC Friends.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi in my opinion DE is not very good for parasite control. Your much safer using a wormer on schedule. If your looking for a natural remedy some have had great success with vermex. Some say it works wonders others have a different opinion but it's certainly worth looking into. Look into the vermex liquid for poultry duck and foul.its made from all natural herbs and is certified organic.i am considering trying it myself. You can get it off Amazon.com. many in the UK use it as a standard. Do a bit of research on it and see what you think. Many swear by it however others like I said don't. One thing that impressed me was in the UK they are so certain of the product they give free fecal float tests to prove the effectiveness on internal parasites and worms. I've been reading about it myself and it sounds like a great preventive to me. However if you have a heavy worm load I would use your chemical wormer then use the vermex as a preventive just to make certain. I hope this helps. Do check it out online and see what you think. Best wishes

3. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    I do love DE. I use it for everything. I sprinkle it in the nesting boxes to prevent bugs. I put it directly on my girls for the same reason. In addition I dust the coop all over with it. I add it to their feed and their dust bath.

4. goosegirl6

goosegirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2013
    Central Alaska
    Hi! I just bought some food grade diatomaceous earth and mixed a little in their feed. I s this ok? I read that it improves overall health and increases egg production?

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

DE is used to keep feed drier. It won't work to kill bugs when wet, so many have posted that it won't work while wet (internally) as a wormer.

I used to put a little in my chickens' feed. Now I use it in the summer when woodstove ashes aren't available, to mix with sand to make dust baths.

6. goosegirl6

Nov 1, 2013
    Central Alaska
    You use woodstove ashes for dust baths?

7. ChickensAreSweet

Yes they love it. They are 50% calcium and they peck at it too. The charcoal can make the poo black if they eat it- they love that too. It has lots of minerals in it (ashes).

I put mine in a metal fire pit which is under a shelter to keep the rain out. Sparks can be present for up to one month I have read, so you don't want to pile them in your coop.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  8. goosegirl6

Nov 1, 2013
    Central Alaska
    Can I get those out of the woodstove, or does it have to be a real clean source?

9. ChickensAreSweet

Yes they come out of our woodstove. Make sure you don't burn any treated wood (for your health too- it is fatal of course to us).

10. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    We add food grade DE to the chicken feed, but I have recently thought about using a wormer on top of that. My flock is about 6 months old, and I have never used a wormer, but I want to make sure they are as healthy as possible.

One of my dogs got tapeworm and we got some WormGuard Plus SC for dogs from The Holistic Horse website. Used it as prescribed and her recent tests from the vet are clean after 90 days of use.

She had them to the point where they were crawling out of her behind (sorry for TMI), and now they are gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by