Diatomaceous Earth and babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by epona4, Dec 2, 2008.

1. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Can you/ should you sprinkle DE (food grade of course) in the brooder?

Haven't done it at this point. Just wondering when I should start adding it to their bedding. Switching to pine bedding tonight. They're 8 days old now.

2. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Here's another question on bedding and babies. How deep should I make the bedding for them? Just enough to cover the floor of the brooder (large rubber maid) or a couple inches deep?

3. Nugget

Nugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2007
    Why do you want to? If they aren't exposed to older birds and aren't free ranging parasites shouldn't be an issue yet. I've heard that it isn't as benign as many suggest (inhaled it can be damaging to lungs) so I wouldn't be eager to start it unless you are having a problem with bugs.

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    When I use pine shavings, I first put in some layers of newspaper so it's easy to roll it all up and put it in a bag when cleaning. But I use a playpen so it's much bigger. You probably can just pick the tote up and dump it. duh

I only make it about an inch or so deep because it needs to be changed frequently. Others may do it differently. Don't be surprised if they start taking a dust bath in the new shavings. It's a hit among the babies when it's new and fresh - especially if there's a nice heat lamp they can "bathe" under. Have fun.

5. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I do sprinkle some on their bedding in the brooder. It's not necessary for bugs, but it does help keep down moisture and smell.
    Since it is expensive, you might want to save it for the coop and run where you will definitely want to use it.
    ~Rebecca

6. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    needmorechickens! :

I do sprinkle some on their bedding in the brooder. It's not necessary for bugs, but it does help keep down moisture and smell.
    Since it is expensive, you might want to save it for the coop and run where you will definitely want to use it.
    ~Rebecca

I was able to get a 50lb bag from our Co-op special ordered for $25. Is that a decent price? (I made sure it's food grade.)​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by