Diatomaceous earth and nesting hen

Naser

Crowing
9 Years
Oct 29, 2014
Ireland
Two of my hens decided they want to go broody, One is brown leghorn and the other one is daisy bell, it is warm nowadays and the conditions are good for red mites, I want to add food grade DE but I am concerned that DE could clog the pores of the eggs and suffocate them, any advice?.

DE is a respiratory irritant. You can treat for mites with a pyrethrin or permethrin based poultry dust. I have used it on broody hens, as well as newly hatched chicks.

DE is a respiratory irritant. You can treat for mites with a pyrethrin or permethrin based poultry dust. I have used it on broody hens, as well as newly hatched chicks.
Thank you
I don't see any signs of red mites, just I want to use it as a preventative, I live in Ireland and I don't think I can get pyrethrin or permethrin

Your hens should dust bath daily when they get up to eat and drink. Most setting hens seem to be able to keep mites under control. The only ones I've had problems with are silkies. I don't think keeping DE in the nest is a good idea. Many members have tried to use it for external parasites but say it doesn't really work too well.

Back
Top Bottom