Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by congdon476, Jan 6, 2009.

1. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    I know everyone recommends this stuff, but I just don't know where to find it. We only have Lowe's and Home Depot and both say it's "seasonal". And apparently it's not the season. So where can I order it online... without giving them an arm and a leg? Thanks guys.

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    They say it is seasonal because I am pretty sure they only carry DE and not food grade DE. Be careful buying it from them. You might be safer buying it from the chicken website above. (I did) Then you are sure your getting the right stuff.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Check with your local feed store. That's where I get mine.

God Bless,

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Check out my food grade DE page when you get a chance. Towards the bottom of the page is a list of several places that you can buy it from.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

6. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    One cannot order online without giving at least a leg for S/H charges. Go to Perma-Guard website. All dealers in the USA are listed there. You may be able to find one within driving distance as online orders result in high shipping fees of $24.00 and up. I found 50 lbs. for $25.00 at a feed store that is within driving distance. It takes a bit of research, but it's certainly worth it.

Always make sure it's labeled "Fossil Shell Flour" by Perma Guard. That is the food grade DE. By the way, DE from MyPetChicken is absolutely cost prohibitive. Don't make that same mistake I made - almost $60 for 10 lbs.!

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Here's a place in Colorado:

Wisdom Ways
    Silver Cliff, CO
    800-947-3662 [Wilbur Love]

8. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    The Silver Cliff is marked as an hour and 15 minutes from here! I didn't know it was that "close". Of course, this is relative as it does appear I have to go OVER a mountain to get to it... so mapquest's 1.15 hours may not be so accurate. But hey- I would get to "see" the countryside [​IMG] Haven't been out that way before!
    Thanks.

9. riley

riley Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Mooers, NY
    my local tsc has it

10. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    unfortunately we do not have any tractors supply store around us [​IMG] I looked online and the nearest is 3 hours away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by