Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NicolaT, Sep 21, 2011.

1. NicolaT

NicolaT Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Hi all.

I have spent all day on this site researching what else I can do to get rid of my red mites in my chicken coop.

I have so far used the squirty Poultry Shield every other night in the coop whilst the chickens have been out for a couple of hours and I have dusted the chickens with the equivalent every 5-7 days.

On monday we had the whole coop apart and I steam cleaned it (that was fun watching the little bleeders cook and turn black in the steam!!!), we redid the poultry shiled and dusted the chickens - yesterday we had no Mites.....and today they are back again!!

So, after hours of research it appears that I have to buy some DE Food Grade - but where can I buy it at a good price in the UK.

The cheapest I have found so far is on ebay - a 25kg sack is 28pounds & 7.50 p&p.

Hope someone can help me.

Many thanks

N

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    DE helps prevent infestation. Once you have the problem it wont get rid of them. It takes to long to work and the mites reproduce too fast. Poultry sheild if its like the stuff we carry at my feed store just washes them off and doesnt kill them. Use seven dust or you can use a poultry dust that contains Permethrin. Make sure to repeat every to days til you no longer see them. I have also read painting the inside of the coop and roosts help with mites. It seals the cracks that they can hide in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by