Diatomaceous Earth. Food-grae Or Industrial?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gsim, Nov 5, 2009.

  1. gsim

    gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,993
    20
    176
    Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I bought a 25# bag of DE at a swimming pool co for use in chooks dust bath. I mixed it thoroughly with dirt, compost, and fine sand. They love it, and have used it for around 3 weeks with no ill effects. Still, I wonder if I should have used food grade and if so, is it because they might eat some. I made a dust bath with the same DE for inside coop too in a 24 X 12 X 6" tall box for rainy days. I know if included in food for livestock, it should be food grade.
     
  2. tink

    tink Chillin' With My Peeps

    477
    1
    149
    May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    Here is some info I have...it may help.. Notice the third line from the bottom....Good luck
    Tink


    DE INFO

    Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is the remains of microscopic one-celled plants (phytoplankton) called diatoms that lived in the oceans and lakes that once covered the western part of the US and other parts of the world. These deposits are mined from underwater beds or from ancient dried lake bottoms.

    Diatomaceous earth is mined, milled, and processed into a myriad of types for a large variety of uses. Filtering and filler are two main uses but diatomaceous earth also ends up in paints, cosmetics, drugs, chemical insecticides, etc. Because the milling produces different sized and shaped particles, it is important not to use the filtering type for agricultural purposes.

    Pool filter grade diatomaceous earth has been heat and chemically treated and will poison an animal or human who ingests it, so it is always of utmost importance to only obtain food grade diatomaceous earth to use in and around your household.

    Diatoms (DE) are the grass of the oceans and lakes. Just as grass is the staple food of earth animals. Diatoms (algae) are the food of the ocean or fresh water grazers. Magnified 7000x, diatomaceous earth looks like spiney honeycombs.


    INTERNAL PARASITE CONTROL: Food grade diatomaceous earth makes a very effective natural insecticide. The insecticidal quality of diatomaceous earth is due to the razor sharp edges of the diatom remains. When diatomaceous earth comes in contact with the insects, the sharp edges lacerate the bugs waxy exoskeleton and then the powdery diatomaceous earth absorbs the body fluids causing death from dehydration.

    Food grade diatomaceous earth has been used for many years as a natural wormer for livestock. Some believe diatomaceous earth scratches and dehydrates parasites. Some scientists believe that diatomaceous earth is a de-ionizer or de-energizer of worms or parasites. Regardless, people report definite control.

    Food grade diatomaceous earth works in a purely physical/mechanical manner, not ‘chemical’ and thus has no chemical toxicity. Best yet, parasites don’t build up a tolerance/immunity to its chemical reaction, so rotation of wormers unnecessary.

    *CLINICAL OBSERVATIONS OF FEEDING CODEX FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH TO DOGS, O.C. Collins, DVM, Midland Animal Clinic And Hospital, Midland, TX:“In clinical observations of feeding dogs over 35 lbs. 1 tbsp./day and under 35 lbs. 1 tsp./day of DE, within seven days all ova disappeared from stools. DE controlled Ascardis (Toxacara canids), Hookworms (Anclyostoma caninum), and Whipworms (Trichuris vulipis).”

    *RESULTS ON FEEDING CODEX FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH TO WALKING HORSE, L. Thomas, Trainer, L. Frank Roper Stables, Winter Garden, FL: “With horses fed approximately 5 oz. of DE mixed in the feed twice daily, the following results were observed: Stopped scours even on horses that had not responded to any other medications. Noticeable fly reduction. Horses showed an increase in appetites. Weight gain due to better feed conversion. Reduction in manure odor. Elimination of any internal parasites. Healthier appearance.

    Daily recommended food grade diatomaceous earth feeding rates:

    Kittens - 1/2 teaspoon
    Cats - 1 teaspoon
    Puppies - 1/2 to 1 tsp.
    Dogs under 35 lbs. - 1 teaspoon
    Dogs over 35 lbs. - 1 tablespoon
    Dogs over 100 lbs. - 2 tablespoons
    Cattle, Dairy Cows, & Hogs - 2% of dry feed ration
    Chickens - 5% in feed
    Goats & Sheep - 2% in grain
    Horses - 1/2 to 1 cup in daily ration
    *Humans - 1 heaping tablespoon daily

    Internal feeding of food grade diatomaceous earth also helps eliminate most internal worms, though possibly not all. It’s also excellent when fed daily to keep down fly loads, since food grade diatomaceous earth is eliminated from the body, exactly the way it went in, it helps reduce the manure odor and kills flies that come in contact with it.

    Mix in animal feed or grain and/or feed free choice.


    EXTERNAL APPLICATIONS FOR LIVESTOCK, BARNS, COOPS, KENNELS, & LITTER BOXES: Use DE throughout the barn, fowl coops, and pastures. When mucking the barn and coops, lightly, but thoroughly sprinkle diatomaceous earth absolutely everywhere! It keeps the barn “cleansed” and dry. In between barn mucking, sprinkle diatomaceous earth on wet spots to help dry them out and keep flies from laying eggs.

    Food grade diatomaceous earth is excellent in fowl coops – on the ground, in nesting/dusting boxes to prevent lice and mites. Sprinkle directly on fowl feathers to eliminate mites and lice that alrady exist. One application of diatomaceous earth has their feathers growing back quickly.

    Food grade diatomaceous earth applied to manure piles keeps fly loads down/eliminated.

    Dairy cow owners put food grade diatomaceous earth in burlap bags, so cows can rub against it and sprinkle themselves with DE, which helps to eliminate flies, that land on them, as well as lice and mites.

    Apply to moist kennel areas to reduce odors, dry the area, and prevent pest breeding.

    A small amount of food grade DE applied to livestock waterers keeps algae from growing on hot summer days.

    Food grade diatomaceous earth is great for compost piles, to prevent breeding pests and control odors.

    OUTDOOR BUGS AFFECTED BY DIATOMACEOUS EARTH: Ants, fire ants, caterpillars, cut worms, army worms, fleas, ticks, cockroaches, snails, spiders, termites, scorpions, silver fish, lice, mites, flies, centipedes, earwigs, slugs, aphids, Japanese beetles (grub stage), fruit flies, corn earworm, cucumber beetles, corn borer, sting bugs, squash vine borers, thrips, loopers, etc., etc.

    MINERALIZATION: Natural food grade diatomaceous earth contains 15 trace minerals: calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, copper, zinc iron, phosphorous, selenium, etc. People note shinier coats, better overall health, better production, etc. in their animals who are fed food grade diatomaceous earth regularly.


    • Do NOT get diatomaceous earth in the eyes. DE is drying to the eyes, so do NOT put it out when you or your pets are down wind of it. DE is drying to your skin, hands, and feet, just as it can be to your pets.

    • NEVER use pool filter grade DE around animals. It can poison or kill them.

    • Remember, DE will kill beneficial insects as well, so use accordingly.


    You should be able to find it at a local feed store or on-line.
     
  3. teach1rusl

    teach1rusl Love My Chickens

    Quote:My chicks frequently eat the sand in their dust baths, and eat dirt. I would stop using that kind immediately and consider yourself lucky. Maybe they've eaten so little that their systems haven't been affected yet. I would NOT take the chance and continue using it.
     
  4. Gonzo

    Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    use food grade..... industrial can kill them.
     
  5. jbowyer01

    jbowyer01 Just Me!

    Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Oh No! Please dont use the industrial! You want to use the food grade the industrial will kill!
     
  6. txchickie

    txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

    Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Get rid of the industrial DE asap! It can and will kill your birds!
     
  7. mypicklebird

    mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

    Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    It is harmful to people as well. You do not want it on you, or especially IN you. Breathing in industrial/commercial/processed form can cause serious lung disease and/or death in humans. It is processed to make it work as a filtering compound, and is a very different compound than the food grade stuff aka diatom flour. The cost is cheaper, and it is easier to find, but it is not worth the risk to you or your birds.
     
  8. Tuffoldhen

    Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

    7,505
    19
    301
    Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:You are using the wrong stuff, enough said.
     
  9. CheerfulHeart2

    CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

    Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have frequently seen posts that only the FOOD GRADE is safe...but haven't seen any that list the WHY that the industrial is not. Is there really a reason or is this just a tradition, urban myth that has evolved?
     
  10. Sillystunt

    Sillystunt Master of the Silly

    Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    YIKES, omg DONT give them that!!!!!!! Your lucky you didn't kill your birds!!!!!!!! Dear god~
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by