1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Diatomaceous Earth for Poultry

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ThePigeonKid, Jan 30, 2012.

1. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    Thanks for posting these, I just bought a bag of DE and now I feel even better about using it.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

I do not trust above by itself. Too much reference to supplier which appears to be an advertisement ploy. An independent study must be conducted for me to trust the above results.

4. katejackson

katejackson New Egg

Jan 31, 2012
    Hi everyone!

I just wanted to point out that all of the studies mentioned above (except the one conducted by the University of Saskatchewan, which was requested by the company), including the most recent study "Effect of diatomaceous earth on parasite load, egg production, and egg quality" are, in fact, independent studies that have been done without the knowledge of the manufacturer.

These studies, even the one requested by the company, have been conducted by prestigious Universities, and the results have not been skewed or impacted in any way.

Reference to these studies by the company is only in an effort to present legitimate scientific research in order to back-up any claims that are made.

I hope this info helps with any questions of authenticity that you may have had!

5. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Hi Kate! Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

6. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    @katejackson [​IMG]

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Only first link involves a study and as you indicate it is not independent, others are simply links to DE distributing / related companies. You have come on this site specifically to support assertions above. I am a scientist and get feeling someone is trying to sell product without backing up claims with independent research.

8. katejackson

katejackson New Egg

Jan 31, 2012
    Hi! And thanks for the lovely welcome! This is such a great site, with so many interesting people to learn from!

The study that is in question is, in fact, an independent study that can also be found on the Poultry Science website (as this who published the study). If you go to the Poultry Science website and search for the keyword "diatomaceous earth" you will find this study along with many others that have been published by this international journal.

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Please post link to the pier reviewed article. I am unable to find.

Found it. Need another conducted by a different lab / individuals.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  10. katejackson

katejackson New Egg

Jan 31, 2012
    Hi centrarchid,

Here is the link to the article on the Poultry Science website: http://ps.fass.org/content/90/7/1416.abstract

The abstract is available to the public however, you must go through the copyright clearance center to get full access to the published journal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by