1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Diatomaceous Earth for worms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CityBredCountry, Dec 2, 2014.

1. CityBredCountry

CityBredCountry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    I watched a video recently that diatomaceous earth will help keep the chickens wormed. I am brand new to chickens and wondering how true this is.

She recommends a small feeding about to them every few months for maintenance. But feed for a good solid week with other food if treating for worms.

She also claims that it keeps her eggs clean. That chickens with worms produce dirty eggs.

Is this true?

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I saw an ad once that claimed that Buffalo tallow would cure everything from TB to acne. Just because someone said it don't make it so.

Caveat Emporium or something like that.

3. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    Most people on here say that DE only works (by physical abrasion) when dry, so in the digestive tract it does nothing to worms or worm eggs. That makes sense, because in powder form each flake is independent, like a bunch of tiny razors, but when wet it would clump together, along with whatever else is in the tract.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    LOL. I saw that youtube video last year for the first time...laughable and misinformative.

5. CityBredCountry

CityBredCountry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    I did not think that it would have been true, but thought that I would post it here to double check. Sometimes there are just those hidden secrets that are true. Thanks for your input all!

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Sometimes it's just better to go with TRIED and true lol! This is one of those times.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If it was a good wormer or preventative, wouldn't it would be in all pet food? I would think so... Horses, cows, dogs, cats, goats. sheep, pigs, birds, etc, all susceptible to worms.

-Kathy

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    And people! (I sprinkled some DE in my salad earlier) Hahahahaha!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

10. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I have DE encapsulated in a pendant I wear around my neck for good luck. I've never had intestinal worms so it must be working.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by