1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Diatomaceous Earth - how much?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shakecc, Jul 4, 2008.

1. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    I would like to use ths in my coop which is 8 x 5 and will house 7 chickens. I am going to have to order it as I can not locate the food grade close to me. I am having a hard time picturing how much I will use, hence how big of a bag to order. Should I get the 50 lb bag or will that last me forever. How much and how ofter do you use it?

Thanks

2. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I have a 4x8 coop and maybe once a week turn over the bedding and sprinkle a light dusting over it-it dries the poop real well, keeps the fly population down and pretty much takes care of any odors. 50# would last you quite a while and its a good way to buy it to save money. Thats what I would recommend.

3. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    Where is the best/cheapest source of DE? I would like to order some too.

4. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Same here...our coop is 8x8 and that's what I do. I also mix it up with some ash and sand to make their dust bath It's great stuff! Hope you can find some....good luck. [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's expensive. I'm picking up a 50 lb bag of food grade tomorrow from Pratts Pet and Feed... it's $39.

6. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I sell PermaGuard Food Grade DE on line- 15.30, 18.30 and 22.30 fpr 3, 5 and 8 pounds respectively. Priority flat rate Mail 2-3 day delivery included. Add a buck for PayPal. If interested, PM me with your PayPal e-mail and I will generate an invoice for you.

7. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I would like to try this DE . BUT, It seems SOOOoo expensive , how long will it last in the yard?

8. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    I bought a 50lb bag at our local feed store and it was only $24. It has lasted forever!!

9. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    DE is NOT expensive! GETTING IT TO YOU is expensive!

10. Google GoldenBlendGroup and see if they have a rep in your area.they are not expensive and the DE is really good. marrie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by