1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Diatomaceous Earth in feed question

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by weirdtalon, May 9, 2016.

1. weirdtalon

weirdtalon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    Hi,
    I just got a 5 pound bag of DE, food grade. It says add 2% per weight. Does anyone have a chart as to exactly how much to put in their feed? Thanks!

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    I use DE. I put it on my cement floor and cover it with straw. I have never put any in their food, mostly because all the research says it does not work when wet, so ineffective when digested. To prevent worms, I feed mine garlic. I cannot say for certain it works, but my chickens have not gotten worms yet.

3. weirdtalon

weirdtalon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    That's neat about using garlic! How do you prep it? Just mince it and toss it down? Some of mine act like they've never been given anything but pellet crumbles. I got some of them from an auction and they were pretty banged up. They are learning though and are looking better every day :)

4. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    I just cut it up into chunks and throw it in with their food. I do not even bother to peel it.

1 person likes this.
  5. DrPatrickBiggs

DrPatrickBiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    Food-grade diatomaceous earth is a great addition to a chicken dust bath when you’re having issues with parasites, like mites; however, there is no need to add it to their feed. When creating a dust bath, make it 10% diatomaceous earth to 90% peat moss.
    Read more about dust baths here: http://www.purinamills.com/find-ans...our-backyard-flock-cool,-calm-and-comfortabl/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by