1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Diatomaceous Earth in New Zealand?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by yankiwi, Dec 10, 2010.

1. yankiwi

yankiwi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    New Zealand West Coast
    Hi to all Kiwis
    I've been reading of the supersonic benefits of Diatomaceous Earth which seems to sell for around $25 per 50 pounds in the US while the only stuff I can find here is from online health food sellers and costs about $15 per 300 grams. As much as I'd like to try it, that's way too much for my three chickens.
    Has anyone found a feed store that sells it here, preferably in the South Island? I'm near Greymouth but would get it from anywhere if the price was right and I'm always up for a road trip.
    My three NH Reds are about ten weeks old and today is the first time they have seen rain (contrary to the popular view that it's always raining on the Coast). They are outside now (their choice) and will be wet in an hour when they go inside. I think some DE would be a great thing in their coop.
    Thanks to all.

2. adele

adele Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2010
    Hi

the only place I have found it is TradeMe, no petshops or CRT has it.. haven't tried any saddlery or garden shops tho except the big mega stores which don't stock it.

wish I knew!

3. yankiwi

Aug 20, 2010
    New Zealand West Coast
    Thanks, if no one else knows I might call around feed stores in Christchurch and I'll post the answer if I get one.

4. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    your best bet is prob chch it would prob be impossible to get it down here.

5. bokboklady

bokboklady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    couldnt you get in on line, i bought a ' starter ' size shaker bottle on ebay and its great, when its finished i will buy a larger size. [​IMG]

6. Raven81

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    i have found some on trade me various sizes auction #341341879 or look up poultrynz listings

7. yankiwi

Aug 20, 2010
    New Zealand West Coast
    Thanks, I did find it on TradeMe and a slightly cheaper place--healthy online which sells 300gm bottles for NZ$14.90.
    Prices in New Zealand seem really expensive compared with the US and about double the price in Canada. I only have a small coop with three chickens so I bought the 300gms, just waiting a few days for it to come. poultrynz is one of the companies selling on TradeMe. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

8. Raven81

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    yes i have found that too that things are way more expensive here it unfair really. i see things for under $100 & get all excited but for me to get it its over &200 nz it sux

9. Raven81

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    im currently trying to win the brinsea incubator on FB but im lacking in votes with 4 days to go. but if i dont win ill have to MAKE my own 1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by