Diatomaceous Earth info needed please.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JimnJanet, Jul 7, 2008.

1. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    I want to git some fer my coops and when i call my feed stores they act like i have 3 heads. They all tell me.."we have things like stall dry and such". They all have no clue what i'm asking for. Can some of you that use it please post the brand names of the FOOD GRADE DE that you use so i can more accurately ask for what i need ?
    Thanx, Jim

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Yep! The feed stores here are the same way. Completely clueless! [​IMG]

I use the Perma-Guard brand food grade DE. You can buy it from spatcher here on BYC. He ships quickly too! Hope that helps! [​IMG]

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    In some places it's called shell flour or fossil flour.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    So far custommilling.com is the cheapest place I found it for 50 lbs of it if your looking for a large bag which I found is NEVER enough! Most feed stores have no clue and try to sell you the wrong stuff! I don't even bother asking anymore. I just order it.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Check the predator/pest section. There is a DE thread daily.

6. VaM715

VaM715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    Check under Organic (feeds, farming, needs, etc.) in your phone book. I had to go to an organic wholesale supplier in Fishersville, VA for mine. $25 per 50lbs I think is what I paid.

7. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
  8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    How much should I add to chicken or dog food, like how much should I mix in per cup of food? As far as using it in the coops, do I just sprinkle it down before I put down the bedding, mix it in with the bedding, or both? I tried to do a search for this, but the search engine doesn't recognize DE as a keyword and I know it often gets misspelled.

Edited to add: I just bought a 50lb bag for $21 at my local feed store. I was so happy they had it!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
  9. contact Dawn419, she sells the stuff and can tell you all about it. I buy it by the #50 lb bags but I pick it up from the local flea market since Golden blend Group had a stall there. [​IMG] marrie

10. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Quote:if you checkthe above it will answer any question you have including dosages!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by