Diatomaceous earth question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by moonflowers, May 9, 2009.

1. moonflowers

moonflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    I am hopefully getting my 6 week old chicks out in their coop today but before I do I was hoping to put down some food grade DE to control pests. I wanted to know if anyone knew where to get some in Kentucky or at least could point me to a good website with some info. I have looked on the Perma Guard site and the custommilling site but found nothing anywhere near me. Also, I am wondering how well it works. I have read great things about it, but has anyone had any negative experiences? Lowes website has a brand that is called: Safer[​IMG] Brand
    Diatomaceous Earth Ant & Crawling Insect Killer does anyone know for sure if that's the right kind or not?
    As a side note, do you think it would keep the pests off my garden that keep eating my seedlings?

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I bought a pound and a half of it yesterday at my local farmers co-op for 6.99. It came in a bucket. I told the guy that sold it to me that I was going to put it in the bedding for my chickens. He says that this stuff is amazing and has sooo may uses. He dusts his dogs with it. He dusts his tomatoes with it to keep pest off of them. He said that he went to a conference once about it and the guy that was showing it said it was so harmless. He showed them all by sprinkling some on a hamburger and eating it.

It's good for keeping away pest like flies and mites. It also helps to keep down the smells in your coop and the bedding as it absorbs the wetness of the poo. Also it keeps away intestinal parasites like worms if you sprinkle it on their food.

Hope you're able to find some! Also check your lawn and garden stores.

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I use DE regularly. It works, but not in the same way as insecticide. It will kill some bugs, but mostly it just encourages them to move. You'll want to be on the lookout for the next, new insect settlement. Don't bother using it in a wet area. It works by nicking the carapace of the insects, which causes them to dehydrate. If the insect is in a moist environment, it won't work.

4. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I pay $22 for 50#. $7 for 1 1/2# is criminal. Are the following close to you?
    # Diatomaceous Distributors
    Jonesboro, AR
    870-219-7513
    [ALL]

# Nitron Industries
    Fayetteville, AR
    479-587-1777
    [ALL]

5. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Loogootee, Indiana, is not that far from Louisville:

INDIANA RESIDENTS
    Driving directions to Loogootee, Indiana to buy food grade diatomaceous earth:
    If you live in Indiana, do not use a Google map to get to the DE source in Loogootee, Indiana; it sent me on a wild goose chase, wasting HOURS of my time. Graber's Hunting Supply is northwest of Loogootee. Google map directions sent me about twelve miles south of Loogootee.
    Graber's Hunting Supply (William Graber)
    6248 North 1050 East
    Loogootee, IN 47553
    Telephone 812-486-3606
    Don't use the Google map directions

Thanks to a mailman (luck), I FINALLY found it. I bought two 50# bags for $21.95 each plus tax. When I left, I checked my odometer for tenths of miles on each road back and wrote NEW directions.
    USE THESE DIRECTIONS, AND IT WILL BE EASY TO FIND:

Coming from the north on Highway 37, go 2.8 miles past the Bedford, Indiana, to exit S. R. 50 and turn right (west).
    Drive 28.1 miles on S.R. 50 to and through S. R. 231 in Loogootee, IN. Stay on S. R. 50 another 1.6 miles until you come to Road 1200 East, turn right and go 5.6 miles north until you come to Road 600 North. Turn left on 600 North and go 1 1/2 miles to Road 1050 East. Turn right and go 1/4 mile north; there you will see the house and large barns on the right (corner of 1050 East and 625 North); the address is 6248 North 1050 East.

Coming from anywhere else, find your way to Loogootee, Indiana. Go to the intersection of S.R. 231 and S.R. 50 and go west on S.R. 50 1.6 miles to Road 1200 East... Follow the directions above from there.

WARNING! Coming from S. R. 50, there is no other way to get to Rd. 1050 East but off of 600 North, i.e., 1050 East is VERY short (about 1,000 feet) and does not go through to S.R. 50 or ANY other road from S.R. 50; however, there are some complicate backroad routes coming from the north that lead into the 625 North road; good luck if you try to use those back roads.

You can buy food grade DE in the Shipshewana area at FD Miller's Feed & Supply. I don't know their prices.
    You can also get food grade DE fm Garden Harvest Supply in Berne, IN. Their website is GardenHarvestSupply.com . Their price is REALLY high if that's for pickup:
    http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=11
    Diatomaceous Earth, Food Grade—5-lb. Bag Price $10.00
    Diatomaceous Earth, Food Grade—50-lb. Bag Price $55.00
    I just checked their delivery for 50 pounds: They wanted $18 for UPS delivery to me here in Indiana. OUCH! That's $73.00.
    I only paid $21.95 for a 50# bag in Loogoottee, Indiana .

6. moonflowers

moonflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Loogootee is 2 hours away. I am hoping to find something within an hour (my husband refused the request to go that far). So I will have to keep looking but I truly appreciate the info. If we can't find any closer we might just have to order it online. A four hour drive just isn't doable this weekend.

I also found a store that had a brand called natural guard but it doesn't say food grade so I am not sure about it...

7. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    KINNIP WROTE:

"If the insect is in a moist environment, it won't work".
    Does this mean that if I put the spent shaving in my compost bin and later add them to my soil it won't harm earthworms?

Sorry don't know how to do the excerpt box thing - would be happy if someone would share how.

8. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Quote:I can't answer that definitively, but I suspect it would take a heckuva lot of DE to kill an earthworm. They tend to stay in moist places and can survive being cut in half. DE is really aimed at smaller prey. I've used DE liberally in my compost heap. Last year showed a boom in the ant population. The DE was an effective eviction notice.

9. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Quote:No it won't harm soft bodied insects like grubs and earthworms. It will kill flies though so eventually if no flies.. no grubs.

Most feed stores can order it with their other grains.. just ask, many dont realize what it is or that it is in fact orderable. Have them ask their distributer if they cant find it on their sales list. That's what I did and now my feed store has it all the time...

Before that i ordered it online here:

http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/product/diatomaceous-earth-food-grade

Lots of info at that link also on uses, etc.

Nancy

10. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Thanks!
    I had them order some for me here in central Alabama - $19.95 for a 40LB bag. I am very pleased with the price.

How do the chickens not get it in their eyes when they're dust bathing in the pine shavings with DE added?

Also can you use the food grade DE on the garden too. I am very aware of the bees and all associated problems, so I do not plan to use it on anything that is flowering so as not to harm the pollinators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by