Diatomaceous Earth question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Boo-Boo's Mama, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I asked DH to pick up some food grade DE for the run.

He came home with Red Lake Earth (Food Chemical Codex Grade) Diatomaceous Earth & Calcium Bentonite (6Lb @ $20.45).

Is this what I need to use on my girls to control mites/lice and add to their food to possibly control worms?

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Everything was swell right up to the "calcium bentonite." That's a type of clay. It may be helpful in absorbing litter moisture since it's used in kitty litter, too. I'd be reluctant to use it in feed, but it might be okay just for use in coop/run/dust bath for control of external parasites as well as odor/fly control.

3. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

When I saw the 'calcium', I was concerned. Will use in the soil for dust baths but not in their food. Thank you so much for the info.

4. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Do some research on the Red Lake Earth, alot of chicken people swear by it, I have used to for my other animals. It is Food Grade and the Calcium Bentonite is said to actually make the eggs stronger. I would do some research, I am using with the chickens. Do a search on BYC. Take care.

Candiss

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by