Diatomaceous earth questions

DE is usually mixed in food to keep the bugs out of it in storage. It can possibly deworm the chickens but it hasn't been proven yet. When cleaning you can sprinkle it under a layer of bedding in the coop and nest boxes. This helps with moisture, flies and kills mites. Some people mix DE, ash and sand as dirt bath mix to kill and prevent mites. The reason DE kills insects is because it is mainly silica and it shreds/dehydrates the parasites or bugs. But inhaling silica can cause respiratory issues and it's recommended to wear a mask when using DE. I use it occasionally to dry up the coop or my horses stall and I have fed it off and on to all my animals. But I worry about them inhaling it and am planning to try sweet PDZ or a similar cleaning product. Also DE kills beneficial insects too, like butterflies, lady bugs, praying mantises, and exc. It has some pros and cons you have to weigh when deciding to use it. Their seems to be a lot of debate over it, some people love and some hate it.

Last edited:
also would you happen to know what I can put in their water outside its in a 5 gallon bucket with water cups attached to it I want to keep in as clean as possible @chickluvinfreak

also would you happen to know what I can put in their water outside its in a 5 gallon bucket with water cups attached to it I want to keep in as clean as possible @chickluvinfreak

I wish I knew how to keep the water clean. I just dump mine and scrub with vinegar every week. For the coop and run I like to mix the DE with water until it makes a thick paint. Then I paint the inside perimeter of the coop and run, since it's painted on to the wood the chickens won't be able to inhale it as much. And when their's a lot of flies, moisture or mites then I sprinkle it everywhere, but only if it's really bad. Painting on the roosting poles, poop drop board and nest boxes is good too. You don't need to use a ton just a thin layer of paint or sprinkled with a flour sifter. Make sure to buy food grade certified DE or a bag that's chemical and food safe. Most DE at feed stores are safe to be used around animals just don't buy it from a pool supply store.

DE (Diatomaceous Earth) has no affect on internal parasites.

Just a few of the studies that I have seen that were done on DE and it effectiveness on internal parasites.
2009 - North Carolina A&T State University, 2005 United Kingdom research facility, 1994/ 1995 Iowa State University, and Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine.

Mine like yours are 5 gallon buckets with cups on them and empty and clean mine everyday, all 30 of them.
On hot days, I empty and refill them twice a day.

DE (Diatomaceous Earth) has no affect on internal parasites.

Just a few of the studies that I have seen that were done on DE and it effectiveness on internal parasites.
2009 - North Carolina A&T State University, 2005 United Kingdom research facility,1994/ 1995Iowa State University, and Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine.

I'm not suprised it has no affect on internal parasites. I had read several articles saying feeding DE would kill fly larvae before they hatched. When fly season came after feeding it everyday their was still tons of flies. No changes at all. So if it can't kill flies in the manure it probably isn't going to kill worms either. I had been feeding it to my horse, dogs and chickens but stopped. It does seem to work well on external bugs though. Thanks for those study references.

Back
Top Bottom