1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Diatomaceous Earth & Sweet PDZ

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Blondie, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they the same thing? Do I need both? Can DE be used instead of Sweet PDZ?[​IMG]

2. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    They are not the same thing. DE is used to kill bugs that my be on your chicken, or living in the coop. As far as I know Sweet PDZ absorbs moister, and is used in the bedding.

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I use the Sweet PDZ in my coop. But my set-up is a little different than most. I have sand for flooring. I've found that working the PDZ into the sand is excellent at removing odor and drying things up. If its just left on the top of the sand it forms too much of a solid surface.

I have no use for DE, my birds being on sand have a much lower chance of having a mite problem.

4. heather21

heather21 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2013
    i'm new to this and have decided to use sand but i havent heard of sweet pdz? what is it and where can u get it?

5. nfitzgeraldRN

nfitzgeraldRN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    Roggen Colorado
    You can find Sweet PDZ at your farm store usually in the horse supplies. Its used in stalls to absorb moisture and odors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by