Diatomaceous earth vs high yield garden pet and livestock dust

ParkersPack

In the Brooder
May 21, 2017
Hi, I was just wondering if anybody has used both of these and if they were able to decide which was better. I used DE on my dogs, cats and house but had no luck...but thought I would give it another try for the Chicks...if anybody thinks it will work better than another product please tell me...if there is another product that will work better for dusting or something similar I would love some input. Thank you so much for all of your help :)

DE scares me. It is a lung irritant and I personally refuse to use it. I use a pyrethrin based poultry dust. What are you using DE for? It is also an indiscriminate killer of all bugs, both good and bad.

DE scares me. It is a lung irritant and I personally refuse to use it. I use a pyrethrin based poultry dust. What are you using DE for? It is also an indiscriminate killer of all bugs, both good and bad.
I tried to use DE for worms, fleas, lice and such...before I gave it to the baby chicks I wanted to make sure it actually worked for them. I read a bunch of things on it working as a dewormer and such better than other brand products with lots of chemicals. It never worked on my dogs or cat...it did make the house dusty...but never got rid of fleas or anything...I just want to get the correct product for my 2 week old chicks because...just making sure before I buy this product because it smells really bad...but if it is the right stuff I WILL use it :)

I know from first hand (and itchy!) experience DE does not work on mites so I doubt it does anything for internal parasites. It's great for killing massive slugs, but so is salt which is much cheaper. I'd go with an approved product for whatever task you need.

I have only used it for dusting potato plants for bugs. I never used it for anything else, so I have no comment about that.
but it did wonders for my potatoes.
just don't dust any blossoms. because it does bees no good..
I know some people who use DE for their chicken dust bowls.
I also know someone who uses Savin .

I think I would hold off on using anything on really young chicks.

......jiminwisc.......

Thank you all for your help. I will stick with the product I bought...never trying DE again lol. Too much dust

Back
Top Bottom