Diatomaceous Earth

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by OrganicFarmWife, Nov 3, 2015.

1. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    I think I read somewhere that diatomaceous Earth is a good choice for a dust bath in the coop. I am just trying to make certain this is correct. Would it be better if I mixed it with ash? Or sand? I would have to buy the sand, I do not have anything very fine, but I could. Just looking to make my chickens comfortable over winter.

2. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We use a mixture of fireplace ash & peat moss with a little DE added for their dust bath.

3. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Why Peat moss?

4. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio

I got the idea on this forum, it's fine, dry & relativley inexpensive. When they scratch and kick it out of the tub, it just mixes in with the deep litter in the run. Works well for the girls.

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    If you read up on it it's not supposed to be inhaled, not sure I'd be encouraging my birds to stir it up into the air in a dust bath.

6. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Yes I actually know quite a bit about it, we use it in our grain, and your right it is hard on a person if they breath too much of it. But i also know it is used by farmers on their cattle, to decrease Flys. But I was wondering about hot much could get into their eyes and mouth.

7. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    I will keep that in mind

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

9. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    OK thank you!

10. foxmfan1

foxmfan1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    hello, i am no expert but i absolutely LOVE Diatomceous Earth. I use it as much as possible. I made my ladies a dustbath in an old playskool sand box. I mixed one bag of topsoil, half a bag of play sand, and probably about 4 cups of d.e i mixed it up, and i add wood ash from our fireplace or chimena when i can, i just kind of eyeball it, and make sure the consistency is ok, that it doesnt clump up or that my ladies aren't kicking up to much dust if the do, i'll play with the ratios. I use d.e in my garden too, i mix it in with my soil, and manure, and sand, and it helps keeps the bugs away, if i see any signs of bugs, like holes and nibbles on my veggie leaves, ill sprinkle straight d.e around the base of the veggies, and that usually solves the problem. i'lll also use it on my dogs if i see any signs of fleas. i dust them lightly and work it into their coats, i'll sprinkle a light layer on their bedding, and fleas and ticks are really not a big issue. i have a small tractor coop i made out of an old playskool playhouse. it has tile on the floors so every few days when i move the coop ill hose off the floor let dry, and then sprinkle a light coat of d.e. to control the flies,ants,bugs etc.

It might seem like I must be going through pounds and pounds of d.e, I really don't, with d.e a little goes a LONG way. I bought a 25 lb bag at my feed store for thirty bux, and it has lasted me almost the year, and this includes, me giving away big jars of it to my friends and family over the summer, cause they had flea issues. My advice to you is to use it in moderation. if you see clouds of it , you are using way to much. I love the stuff, I only have three ladies, I got them at a day old about three years ago, i have used d.e from day one, and my ladies have never had any issues. i hope it stays that way.
    if you made it this far, i hoped i helped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by