Diatomaceous Earth

OrganicFarmWife

Crowing
Oct 21, 2015
No where Nebraska
I think I read somewhere that diatomaceous Earth is a good choice for a dust bath in the coop. I am just trying to make certain this is correct. Would it be better if I mixed it with ash? Or sand? I would have to buy the sand, I do not have anything very fine, but I could. Just looking to make my chickens comfortable over winter.

If you read up on it it's not supposed to be inhaled, not sure I'd be encouraging my birds to stir it up into the air in a dust bath.

If you read up on it it's not supposed to be inhaled, not sure I'd be encouraging my birds to stir it up into the air in a dust bath.

Yes I actually know quite a bit about it, we use it in our grain, and your right it is hard on a person if they breath too much of it. But i also know it is used by farmers on their cattle, to decrease Flys. But I was wondering about hot much could get into their eyes and mouth.

Quote: Well, birds have very delicate respiratory systems.....
....so if they are exerting themselves in a cloud of DE(likely scenario in a dust bath) they are going to be breathing it in.

Same goes for ash, maybe to a lesser extent.......peat dust can be very fine too, and unsustainable to boot.
Plain old 'dirt' is probably the best bet for dust bathing.

I do put DE in the bottoms of the nests and sprinkle/shake it over new straw added.....
.....as well as in the cracks and crevices on the roosts, along the edges of the coop floor and in the bottom of the feed cans...
.....and in the feed iteself if I see grain mites in there.

Well, birds have very delicate respiratory systems.....
....so if they are exerting themselves in a cloud of DE(likely scenario in a dust bath) they are going to be breathing it in.

Same goes for ash, maybe to a lesser extent.......peat dust can be very fine too, and unsustainable to boot.
Plain old 'dirt' is probably the best bet for dust bathing.

I do put DE in the bottoms of the nests and sprinkle/shake it over new straw added.....
.....as well as in the cracks and crevices on the roosts, along the edges of the coop floor and in the bottom of the feed cans...
.....and in the feed iteself if I see grain mites in there.

OK thank you!

I think I read somewhere that diatomaceous Earth is a good choice for a dust bath in the coop. I am just trying to make certain this is correct. Would it be better if I mixed it with ash? Or sand? I would have to buy the sand, I do not have anything very fine, but I could. Just looking to make my chickens comfortable over winter.
hello, i am no expert but i absolutely LOVE Diatomceous Earth. I use it as much as possible. I made my ladies a dustbath in an old playskool sand box. I mixed one bag of topsoil, half a bag of play sand, and probably about 4 cups of d.e i mixed it up, and i add wood ash from our fireplace or chimena when i can, i just kind of eyeball it, and make sure the consistency is ok, that it doesnt clump up or that my ladies aren't kicking up to much dust if the do, i'll play with the ratios. I use d.e in my garden too, i mix it in with my soil, and manure, and sand, and it helps keeps the bugs away, if i see any signs of bugs, like holes and nibbles on my veggie leaves, ill sprinkle straight d.e around the base of the veggies, and that usually solves the problem. i'lll also use it on my dogs if i see any signs of fleas. i dust them lightly and work it into their coats, i'll sprinkle a light layer on their bedding, and fleas and ticks are really not a big issue. i have a small tractor coop i made out of an old playskool playhouse. it has tile on the floors so every few days when i move the coop ill hose off the floor let dry, and then sprinkle a light coat of d.e. to control the flies,ants,bugs etc.

It might seem like I must be going through pounds and pounds of d.e, I really don't, with d.e a little goes a LONG way. I bought a 25 lb bag at my feed store for thirty bux, and it has lasted me almost the year, and this includes, me giving away big jars of it to my friends and family over the summer, cause they had flea issues. My advice to you is to use it in moderation. if you see clouds of it , you are using way to much. I love the stuff, I only have three ladies, I got them at a day old about three years ago, i have used d.e from day one, and my ladies have never had any issues. i hope it stays that way.
if you made it this far, i hoped i helped.

Back
Top Bottom