Diatomaceous earth

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by faintingrobin, Apr 5, 2018.

1. faintingrobin

faintingrobin Hatching

Apr 5, 2018
    Does anyone know if it is okay to give week old chicks straight diatomaceous earth for dust baths?

2. :welcome AND :welcome Back Yard Chickens dot com
    Turkeys, Quail, Pheasants, Ducks, and other assorted birds.

Diatomaceous Earth or DE for short is at best useless for the control of pest and parasites that pester chickens. At it's worst DE is a dangerous material that can lead to lung diseases similar to Black Lung disease in both chickens and humans.

DE has also been linked to Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    getaclue and 4 ever Orpington like this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Hello, DE is terrible stuff...Don't use it at all..Sand and potting soil mixed works great as Dust bath material...

getaclue likes this.
  4. Lordofchickens 86

Lordofchickens 86 Songster

Sep 19, 2011
    The Burg FL
    some people have success with it I did but not for dust baths. just as a feed Additive. and for dusting the coop.

penny1960 likes this.
  5. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    I put DE under the bedding in their nesting boxes when the humidity outside is nuts But I’m so paranoid about the dust issue and the respiratory the amount I put down probably isn’t even effective. I know in Moderate large amounts it is very very bad for the respiratory. The label on mine says to wear a mask when applying it to a garden or lawn so in a chicken dust bath probably not good

nerfworthy and penny1960 like this.
  6. MarieJune

MarieJune In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2017
    Minnesota
    I would never use diatomaceous earth as it is easily inhaled and can cause many respiratory issues.

7. I use DE in their feed at a 2% rate, along with kelp, probios, and garlic/yeast powder

penny1960 and TwoCrows like this.
  8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Agreed with above posters. DE is not safe b/c of it's ability to cause serious lung damage. I would not use potting soil either, as many prepared soils have pearlite or vermiculite and fertilizer in them. Your best and healthiest bet for them would be a plug of sod from an untreated lawn. Simply set it in the brooder upside down. they will initially recoil in fright, then they will inspect, then they will ENJOY! Digging for their grub: first insects, worms maybe, seeds, and greens. They will also get: minerals, first grit, valuable beneficial bacteria and fungi to kick start their gut flora and immune system. They will also get a dose of cocci and other pathogens from that soil. NO! DON'T FREAK OUT! YOUR CHICKS NEED THIS EXPOSURE TO DEVELOP THEIR IMMUNITY. THE BEST TIME TO DO THIS IS WITHIN THE FIRST 2 WEEKS OF HATCH, WHILE THEY STILL HAVE ANTIBODIES RECEIVED FROM THEIR MOTHERS. When they wear out that first sod, give them a new one.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Rachel, you might try switching to sweet PDZ for your needs.

drumstick diva and nminusyplusm like this.
  10. is (sweet PDZ) the same as tractor supplies (Stall Fresh)

drumstick diva likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: