diatomaceous earth

welcome-byc.gif
I've also heard of people mixing it in with sand and putting it in the dust bathing holes.

About once a month I sprinkle it on their pine shavings, in the bin under their roost that catches their poop, in their dust-bath bins, and on/in their run.
Daily I throw in a handful of bird seed over their pine shavings in their coop(s) and the sand in their run for them to scratch to find more; that way they keep the coop(s) and run stirred up, dry, non-smelly and without flies or other insects.

Last edited:
I've been wondering about this too... does anyone mix it with their feed as a natural wormer? If so, how much do you add?

After all I have read about the stuff I have decided to mix it in with their food for keeping them worm free etc... ( I put 1/2 - 1 cup of it in a 50 pound bag and mix it up) I also generously sprinkle it in their henhouse..on the bedding and I leave a large flat bowl full of it for them and they use it every day. I also used it when I was bringing in new chicks and a chicken. I dusted them real good with the stuff. I took 3 weekers from the feed store and gently dabbed each one in a bowl before placing them in with existing chicks. I have never had any problem. I may even over use it but I do not want lice or fleas or mites or parasites.

Has anyone used it to kill slugs? If so how? Does it attact slugs to itself like slug bait or do you have to actually find them and dump it on? My chickens are so into every part of my garden that I cant use slug bait and the chickens are not interested in dining on them.....

Quote:
Yes I do. I mix some up in their feed. Like joebriant does. And it does keep the smell down and kills most insects like those mites, annoying flies. And parasite worms, so I've heard. You can use it in your yard or garden as a insecticide. I even mix up about a table spoon in a spray bottle and spray it on my dog for fleas and ticks. It's better and healthier then using pesticides. I sprinkle about a feed scoop, in their coop and run just enough to lightly over the surface. And when they are free ranging. That way they don't inhale the dust. The dust is bad for their lungs an ours too. If you want, you can get a dust mask for yourself that's what I do.
Also make sure the Diatomaceous earth is food quality. Your feed store will know what you want.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom