1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Diatomaceous earth

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nancy1zak, May 15, 2010.

1. nancy1zak

nancy1zak Songster

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    How much to I sprinkle in the run and coop?

Last edited: May 15, 2010

2. Dar

Dar Crowing

Jul 31, 2008
    i sprinkle like i am putting the deodorant stuff that you later vacuum ... i just sprinkle like that .. O could be wrong.. but it works for me

3. nancy1zak

nancy1zak Songster

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Ok...thx. Also, how often do I sprinkle DE?

4. chickee

chickee Songster

Quote:[​IMG] When clean I sprinkle it on the floor and roosts of my chicken house like Dar described, before putting the clean shavings down. I don't use it in my runs since when it gets wet it just turns slimmy.I also put 10% DE in my chicken's feed as a natural wormer and their droppings are dryer so it really helps keep the flies away! Since I have been using it, my chickens are some of the healthiest I've ever had! [​IMG]

5. nancy1zak

nancy1zak Songster

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Ok...so don't put it in the run...just the coop and nest boxes? Can you explain more about putting it in their feed? Do you do a ratio? Do you put it in dry?

6. chickee

chickee Songster

Quote:What I have read is to mix 10% of the (Food grade) DE dry powder into your feed. This seemed confusing to me, but since DE is safe, each time I fill the feeders, I just sprinkle a little on top of the feed in the bag and fold it into the portion I'm using that day. You can't hurt your chickens by using too much, you will just have too much powder collect at the bottoms of your feeder and clog them up. There is a lot of info on the web about feeding animals (and people!) DE and all its benefits. Take a look, it is really interesting! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by