diatomaceous earth

Quote:
DE cannot BE "organic"

Its powdered ROCK

If it doesn't say "Food Grade", it's not food grade

Actually it is organic, it's made from crushed up fossils....

What is Diatomaceous Earth?
Diatomaceous earth is a remarkable, all-natural product made from tiny fossilized water plants. Diatomaceous Earth is a naturally occurring siliceous sedimentary mineral compound from microscopic skeletal remains of unicellular algae-like plants called diatoms. These plants have been part of the earth's ecology since prehistoric times. It is believed that 30 million years ago the diatoms built up into deep, chalky deposits of diatomite. The diatoms are mined and ground up to render a powder that looks and feels like talcum powder to us. It is a mineral based pesticide. DE is approximately 3% magnesium, 33% silicon, 19% calcium, 5% sodium, 2% iron and many other trace minerals such as titanium, boron, manganese, copper and zirconium. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural (not calcined or flux calcined) compound. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural grade diatomite.

this link explains all the different grades:

http://perma-guard.com/index.html

Quote:
If it's from your feed mill, it's probably either 'feed grade' or 'food grade'. Same thing.

I get mine from our feed mill, it's perma guard brand and 'food grade'.

Quote:
Yes, it MUST say "food grade"

Feed grade is different - from my understanding, feed grade is used to make feed more "pourable" and it shouldn't be used in large doses (?) I could be wrong, though.

What is Diatomaceous Earth?
Diatomaceous earth is a remarkable, all-natural product made from tiny fossilized water plants. Diatomaceous Earth is a naturally occurring siliceous sedimentary mineral compound from microscopic skeletal remains of unicellular algae-like plants called diatoms. These plants have been part of the earth's ecology since prehistoric times. It is believed that 30 million years ago the diatoms built up into deep, chalky deposits of diatomite. The diatoms are mined and ground up to render a powder that looks and feels like talcum powder to us. It is a mineral based pesticide. DE is approximately 3% magnesium, 33% silicon, 19% calcium, 5% sodium, 2% iron and many other trace minerals such as titanium, boron, manganese, copper and zirconium. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural (not calcined or flux calcined) compound. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural grade diatomite.

bwah?​

Quote:
bwah?

As I remember the trip we took to a DE mine for my Geology class in college, that description is out of a textbook. Why it works is cooler though! If you look at DE through a microscope, it looks like bazillions of shards of razor sharp glass. To you and me (and our chickens) it is powder, but to little tiny bugs with little tiny feet??? OOOOOOUUUUUCCCHHHH!!!

My feed store has Red Lake Earth DE labeled as organic. It contains 65% DE and the rest clay. It is FEED grade for animal feed, but not FOOD grade for humans. From what I read it is OK for animals just like the food grade. I plan on getting some when my permaguard runs out (bought 10 lbs. online), as it is too expensive to ship a 40 lb bag.

Just read the ingredients. Mine doesn't say Food Grade, but it does list DE as the only ingredient...no other additives. Clay would probably be OK also. You want to avoid the stuff listed as filter medium. It has anti-caking and anti-mold ingredients that are harmful.

Back
Top Bottom