diatomaceous earth

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by only one lay, May 28, 2010.

1. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    Preparing to use in the coop. Local feed mill has 40# at 12$. I need to know if organic is the same as food grade? Or am I just looking at different terms

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I need to know if organic is the same as food grade?

DE cannot BE "organic"

Its powdered ROCK

If it doesn't say "Food Grade", it's not food grade​

3. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    Pardon my igorance, how many grades are their? Is this a term thing or is it really the point that what i buy MUST say food grade.

4. WV_Hillbilly70

WV_Hillbilly70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Nashville, Indiana
    Quote:DE cannot BE "organic"

Its powdered ROCK

If it doesn't say "Food Grade", it's not food grade

Actually it is organic, it's made from crushed up fossils....

What is Diatomaceous Earth?
    Diatomaceous earth is a remarkable, all-natural product made from tiny fossilized water plants. Diatomaceous Earth is a naturally occurring siliceous sedimentary mineral compound from microscopic skeletal remains of unicellular algae-like plants called diatoms. These plants have been part of the earth's ecology since prehistoric times. It is believed that 30 million years ago the diatoms built up into deep, chalky deposits of diatomite. The diatoms are mined and ground up to render a powder that looks and feels like talcum powder to us. It is a mineral based pesticide. DE is approximately 3% magnesium, 33% silicon, 19% calcium, 5% sodium, 2% iron and many other trace minerals such as titanium, boron, manganese, copper and zirconium. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural (not calcined or flux calcined) compound. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural grade diatomite.

this link explains all the different grades:

http://perma-guard.com/index.html

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:If it's from your feed mill, it's probably either 'feed grade' or 'food grade'. Same thing.

I get mine from our feed mill, it's perma guard brand and 'food grade'.

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:Yes, it MUST say "food grade"

Feed grade is different - from my understanding, feed grade is used to make feed more "pourable" and it shouldn't be used in large doses (?) I could be wrong, though.

7. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    What is Diatomaceous Earth?
    Diatomaceous earth is a remarkable, all-natural product made from tiny fossilized water plants. Diatomaceous Earth is a naturally occurring siliceous sedimentary mineral compound from microscopic skeletal remains of unicellular algae-like plants called diatoms. These plants have been part of the earth's ecology since prehistoric times. It is believed that 30 million years ago the diatoms built up into deep, chalky deposits of diatomite. The diatoms are mined and ground up to render a powder that looks and feels like talcum powder to us. It is a mineral based pesticide. DE is approximately 3% magnesium, 33% silicon, 19% calcium, 5% sodium, 2% iron and many other trace minerals such as titanium, boron, manganese, copper and zirconium. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural (not calcined or flux calcined) compound. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural grade diatomite.

bwah?​

8. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    Quote:bwah?

As I remember the trip we took to a DE mine for my Geology class in college, that description is out of a textbook. Why it works is cooler though! If you look at DE through a microscope, it looks like bazillions of shards of razor sharp glass. To you and me (and our chickens) it is powder, but to little tiny bugs with little tiny feet??? OOOOOOUUUUUCCCHHHH!!!

9. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    My feed store has Red Lake Earth DE labeled as organic. It contains 65% DE and the rest clay. It is FEED grade for animal feed, but not FOOD grade for humans. From what I read it is OK for animals just like the food grade. I plan on getting some when my permaguard runs out (bought 10 lbs. online), as it is too expensive to ship a 40 lb bag.

10. natrgatr

natrgatr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Columbia City, IN
    Just read the ingredients. Mine doesn't say Food Grade, but it does list DE as the only ingredient...no other additives. Clay would probably be OK also. You want to avoid the stuff listed as filter medium. It has anti-caking and anti-mold ingredients that are harmful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by