1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Diatomaceous Earth

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jemagsy, Apr 8, 2008.

1. jemagsy

jemagsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Georgia
    I went to the feed store this weekend looking for diatomaceous earth to use in the chicken bedding. The boy who helped me had never heard of it (like so many feed stores I've been to!) but the older gentleman in the back was familiar with it. I explained to him I needed something for chickens and he sold me "Natural Guard Crawling Insect Control with Diatomaceous earth."

I got it home and it says nothing about being able to use it in poultry bedding - then again it doesn't say I can't use it with pets or around humans either just those generic warnings "if swallowed/inhaled etc." I read somewhere on the forums to pick up "food grade" diatomaceous earth but this is the only thing I have been able to find.

So what do you all think? Can I use it in their pine bedding and at what age can I start putting it out? Also do I need to dust them w/ it as well? If I can't use this does anyone know where I could find some in NE GA (Gainesville/Commerce/Cornelia/Toccoa preferably).

Thanks so much!

2. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    i removed my comment so NO ONE can be harmed my dumb and incorrect statement

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  3. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    The pool DE is NOT NOT NOT safe for consumption! DO not eat. Bad. You need food grade DE, not the pool stuff.

4. Bubba

Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    Jemagsy it sounds like you got pet grade DE it is not to be ingested. You need to find food grade if it doesn't say food grade I won't use it around my birds. If you love your pets then you will keep looking. Use the phone and call around instead of going into shops, will be alot faster for you. You also might ask if they can order it for you, most stores once someone asks for it start to carry it. Never use Pool Grade for anything other than a pool, it doesn't degrade and is worse than pesticide imo. Food Grade is the way to go.

Bubba

PS Try to get 50lb sacks, it goes a long way and should be around 25-30 dollars last I checked in my area.

5. jemagsy

jemagsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks so much!

6. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I don't know about you but I can't find it locally and when I try to explain to them "Food Grade" DE they look at me like I have a 3rd eye. They only know of the stuff you can use in your pool filter..
    You may end up finding it on line, but the shipping alone is ridiculous. See if you can split an order if you can with someone out there with you.
    Perma-Guard is a brand name you also might find it under.

Good luck.

7. ebaribault

ebaribault Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Antrim, NH
  8. 2dream

2dream Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
  9. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I bought mine on Ebay.

10. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Check out my Food Grade DE page.

There's a section for links to places where you can buy it.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by