Diatomaceous Earth

jemagsy

Songster
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Georgia
I went to the feed store this weekend looking for diatomaceous earth to use in the chicken bedding. The boy who helped me had never heard of it (like so many feed stores I've been to!) but the older gentleman in the back was familiar with it. I explained to him I needed something for chickens and he sold me "Natural Guard Crawling Insect Control with Diatomaceous earth."

I got it home and it says nothing about being able to use it in poultry bedding - then again it doesn't say I can't use it with pets or around humans either just those generic warnings "if swallowed/inhaled etc." I read somewhere on the forums to pick up "food grade" diatomaceous earth but this is the only thing I have been able to find.

So what do you all think? Can I use it in their pine bedding and at what age can I start putting it out? Also do I need to dust them w/ it as well? If I can't use this does anyone know where I could find some in NE GA (Gainesville/Commerce/Cornelia/Toccoa preferably).

Thanks so much!

Jemagsy it sounds like you got pet grade DE it is not to be ingested. You need to find food grade if it doesn't say food grade I won't use it around my birds. If you love your pets then you will keep looking. Use the phone and call around instead of going into shops, will be alot faster for you. You also might ask if they can order it for you, most stores once someone asks for it start to carry it. Never use Pool Grade for anything other than a pool, it doesn't degrade and is worse than pesticide imo. Food Grade is the way to go.

Bubba

PS Try to get 50lb sacks, it goes a long way and should be around 25-30 dollars last I checked in my area.

I don't know about you but I can't find it locally and when I try to explain to them "Food Grade" DE they look at me like I have a 3rd eye. They only know of the stuff you can use in your pool filter..
You may end up finding it on line, but the shipping alone is ridiculous. See if you can split an order if you can with someone out there with you.
Perma-Guard is a brand name you also might find it under.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom