Diatomaceous earth

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by yellowirenut, Sep 17, 2011.

1. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    Why should i put it down?
    where should i use it?
    what is its benefits?
    Is there a good kind and a bad?
    My coop has small shavings that are changed out ever two weeks. The run is clay soil that is getting sand..slowly.

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I put it where the girls dust bath. It will help with mites and little critters. I spread it around liberally where they tend to hand out. Use Food Grade DE by the way

Steve

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I use it on our wide roosts and also on the coop floor. I've yet to come across a single bug.

4. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    forgot to mention its odor control qualities

5. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    where do i find it?
    feed store?

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Tractor supply store, 20# bag @ $12.

7. CluckCluck2

CluckCluck2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Morris, Illinois
    How much would you use per square foot?

8. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    1/3 sand - 1/3 dirt or soil - 1/3 DE my bathtub is 2' deep 18" tall and 4' long

[​IMG]

My old one was not deep enough and they kicked the sand out all day long. 2' X 3' but 10" deep

[​IMG]

DE (Diatomaceous Earth) Food Grade - Food grade diatomaceous earth is EPA approved to be mixed with grains to control mealworms and pests. Food grade diatomaceous earth makes a very effective natural insecticide. The insecticidal quality of diatomaceous earth is due to the razor sharp edges of the diatom remains. When diatomaceous earth comes in contact with the insects, the sharp edges lacerate the bugs waxy exoskeleton and then the powdery diatomaceous earth absorbs the body fluids causing death from dehydration. Food grade diatomaceous earth has been used for at least two decades as a natural wormer for livestock. Some believe diatomaceous earth scratches and dehydrates parasites. Some scientists believe that diatomaceous earth is a de-ionizer or de-energizer of worms or parasites. Regardless, people report definite control. To be most effective, food grade diatomaceous earth must be fed long enough to catch all newly hatching eggs or cycling of the worms through the lungs and back to the stomach. A minimum of 60 days is suggested by many, 90 days is advised for lungworms. Best yet, parasites don’t build up a tolerance/immunity to its chemical reaction, so rotation of wormers is unnecessary. Internal feeding of food grade diatomaceous earth helps eliminate most internal worms, including roundworms, pin worms, tapeworms, etc. It's also excellent when fed daily to keep down fly loads, since food grade diatomaceous earth is eliminated from the body, exactly the way it went in, it helps reduce the manure odor and kills flies that come in contact with it. Mix in animal feed or grain and/or feed free choice. Our goats, fowl, and dogs eat it free choice. DE is primarily used for the control of external parasites, and as a wormer when using food grade DE. Diatomaceous (die-uh-toe-may-shus) "DE", as diatomaceous earth is abbreviated, has the neat quality of killing insects. It's perfect for natural insect control. It is 100% ecologically safe to the environment and non-poisonous to man and beast. In fact, if you've eaten anything made with flour you've eaten DE. It's used in commercial grain storage as a means of natural, poison-free, insect control. Worming add 2% D.E. to your feed to reduce, or eliminate internal parasites and worms. Delousing your birds to help control external parasites like red mites, and lice. You will also need to spread this liberally on roosts, bedding areas, and dusting spots.

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Doesn't that pretty much make it a waste of time to pass it through the animal first?

None of the following has ever been PROVEN scientifically, and in fact most of it has been DISproven, which is why they use so many "qualifiers" rather than saying it actually does any of those things
    The information is a cut and paste from Wolf Creek Ranch, whose main goal is to SELL you some DE:
    Quote:
    To be most effective, food grade diatomaceous earth must be fed long enough to catch all newly hatching eggs or cycling of the worms through the lungs and back to the stomach.
    A minimum of 60 days is suggested by many, 90 days is advised for lungworms.
    Best yet, parasites don’t build up a tolerance/immunity to its chemical reaction, so rotation of wormers is unnecessary.

Internal feeding of food grade diatomaceous earth helps eliminate most internal worms, including roundworms, pin worms, tapeworms, etc
    http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

Can anyone logically explain how it DEHYDRATES a worn inside an animal's body?

And why does that same website tell you it will NOT kill Earthworms in your garden?

It's an insecticide, and not much else

10. Eznet2u

Eznet2u Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by