Diatomaceous Earth

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jermoatc, Dec 15, 2011.

1. jermoatc

jermoatc Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    Has anyone used food grade DE as a wormer for your birds? If so is it effective and how much do you give them? Im assuming you just sprinkle it on their food.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Double post.

Ineffective as soon as it becomes wet. The inside of a chicken is wet, so it is useless as a wormer.

Sorry. Would that it were so easy.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    DE does not kill internal parasites

4. angusshangus

angusshangus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Verona, NJ
    It does make a terrific drying agent in your coop though! Keeps the smell down and makes cleaning easier.

5. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    No use as a de-wormer. I use food grade DE on the Fire Ant beds, and it is pretty effective for that - I dump a lot on a hill & it eventually kills them. I put it in the chicken dust holes, but it is no more effective at de-lousing/ mites than good dirt & quartz sand.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I use DE in my coop and in my duck feed. It dries out the poop and keeps the duck feed dry. What would make someone think it is ineffective when wet. It still has the same properties that it did when dry. Yeah sure it isn't drying things out once wet. Some believe it is a good preventive for worms others don't to each their own. I use it and have never had worms

7. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    What would make someone think it is ineffective when wet.

Because it kills by DEHYDRATING insects.
    It can't dehydrate anything if it's already wet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

Pest control

Diatomite is used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate.[9]

Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low.

Some believe it is a good preventive for worms others don't to each their own.

"Beliefs" have nothing to do with science, and science says it doesn't kill internal parasites

I use it and have never had worms

I don't use it , and haven't had worms either.​

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  8. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Agreed, it does not work internally. If you want to go a "natural" route with your deworming, (if you even need to deworm) there are plenty of herbal options that are effective.

Quote:I've never seen an elephant in my spinach garden, so spinach must repel them...[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I've never seen an elephant in my spinach garden, so spinach must repel them...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I've never seen an elephant in my spinach garden, so spinach must repel them

They're fooling you by hiding behind the leaves [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by