1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Diatomaceous Earth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jermoatc, Dec 15, 2011.

1. jermoatc

jermoatc Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    Has anyone used food grade DE as a wormer for your birds? If so is it effective and how much do you give them? Im assuming you just sprinkle it on their food.

2. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    I use it but it doesnt kill all types of worms. It is mostly for roundworms. It is 5% of the amount of food sprinkle on top and stir in. It has minerals in it that make their feathers really shiny and also has calcium in it that is good for them. I feed mine DE daily. I use in the coop, on the birds and on my dog too. Its great stuff but dont be completely dependent on for worming. You need something stronger for tapes and gapes.

3. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I have never used it on my chickens, but we give it regularly to my barn cats. [​IMG]

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You will get a variety of opinions on DE. Let me be the first to say it is pretty much useless. I went into poultry keeping with a very high opinion of DE. That has changed over the years to a realistic view. DE is a preventative for external parasites, and that's it. It is only effective as long as it stays dry, so as soon as it becomes even moist- it is ineffective. As an internal wormer? Nope. Utterly useless.

Sorry to be a wet blanket.

Good luck.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by