DIATOMACEOUS EARTH

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JOSEPHC, Feb 9, 2013.

1. JOSEPHC

JOSEPHC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2012
    Long Island New York
    I understand the benefits of food grade DE, but I would appreciate specifically, guidelines on instructions, tools, methods, techniques of distributing DE inside a 5' x4' x 3' coop as well as a 8'x9' run. Do you apply it when the chickens are inside the coop as it may create an inhalation exposure? Any advice you can give will be welcomed. Thank you!

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I shake it out into the coop when the girls are in the run. If you don't have anything with a shaker top, just poke a bunch of holea into a yogurt (or whatever) container lid.

Within the run, I usually shake it onto the ground in the morning before I let the girls out of the coop.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  3. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I have a tub in my coop in the winter that has dirt, DE and wood ashes for them to dust bathe in. I also add some each time I clean out the nestboxes. I use the deep litter method and sprinkled DE liberally on the ground before I put down pine shavings. I will add some to the fresh bedding eery few weeks or so.

4. JOSEPHC

Dec 23, 2012
    Long Island New York
    Thank you! What type of container do you use to apply the DE? How much do you appl ?

5. JOSEPHC

Dec 23, 2012
    Long Island New York
    Excellent idea with the container. How much do you apply to the run? What about the coop?

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I am not scientific about measurements in the coop or run. I just shake a bunch out in the coop to dry things out every few days (it's a small coop).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by