Diatomacious Earth - Yes or No ?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thwoody28, Jul 8, 2011.

1. thwoody28

thwoody28 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Wedowee, Alabama
    While surfing the web I have noticed that some people use this around their farms and chicken houses - do you use it and if you do where and how much? Any info "Good or Bad" would be greatly appreciated. I wanted to use this for insect control around my chicken pen and in their nest. Thanks....[​IMG]

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I use it in my chicken's dust baths (I have a dirt floor in the coop), and it seems to work well! A bit dusty, but effective to some extent. I've been fighting lice for a while, and this has really helped.

Every once in a while I'll put a light dusting over the bedding, just in case.

3. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I just started to use it yesterday after having it reffered to me by countless people on BYC. It is a very interesting substance. My son found a flea on one of our cats and put it in a cup with some of that stuff, within 10-15 min the flea was not jumping any more. And If you ask me that is awsom. So we dusted all our cats, dogs, and chickens of course. I am thrilled to use something that is not a pestacide!

4. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    I have been using it for years. You can even mix in water and drink it yourself. I buy it by the 50 lb bags. I sprinkle all around the cat food bowl outside to prevent ants in the cat food. I sprinkle it around the foundation of the house. I sometimes mix it in my dog, cat, and chicken food for weeks at a time. I could go on and on....

pam in TX

5. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Yeah it's upposed to be a natural dewormer... Intestional only im guessing since that is the only place it can go if taken orally.

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I love it! It also keeps the odor in the coop down! The only downside is that it's pretty dusty. I can live with the dust, especially since it keeps the lice, mites, ticks, and fleas off my girls!

7. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    As a dry product it works great to deter insects in coop, hen house, dust bath, as well as the food. Once wet it is not effective and there is no proof it will deter or kill parasites internally that I have seen.

Yes I use it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by