Diatomateous Earth good or bad

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by love2chicken, Jan 28, 2011.

1. love2chicken

love2chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    graham,washington
    I have heard a look of good things about the stuff. But now I have been talking to people and they are saying that it's very bad. that it can tear up lungs in your chickens and the people putting it down. Anyone have the answer thanks [​IMG]

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    just make sure it is food grade, i've never had a problem- some folks use masks when they put it down, but i never have

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Well I have used it quite a bit, but it didn't prevent the mite infestation I had. It is a great drying agent when I sprinkle it on the floor of the coop, then scrape up the poo the next day. Sweet PDZ is my favorite though.

4. love2chicken

Jan 19, 2011
    graham,washington
    ok make sure it is food grade how much. do you put down in the coop/run. what is Sweet PDZ

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:What I do is take a tiny amount and sprinkle it on my wood floor of the shed coop. Then I run out of there, holding my breath. It is BAD if you breathe it in. I probably should wear a mask, lol.

Sweet PDZ is also a powder - to keep stalls dry and sweet smelling. I buy it at the feed store- it has a mineral-sounding name.

6. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    It's useless if it gets wet. I put in inside the coop under the bedding. I've had good results and the chickens have been fine. Don't breathe it in when using it. Like ChickensAre, A.Robin...Only get food grade (Codec)

I use about a pound per 8x8' space...just lightly sprinkle...especially use in cracks, crevices, and corners. Been using it for over 7 years with no problems.

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I use DE sprinkled on the roosts, nest boxes and floor of the coop. I've never had a problem at all, nor have my chickens. I don't know if it's been successful in preventing bugs, but I haven't had a bug problem yet. Absolutely make sure it is food grade. It's also sometimes called fossil flour. It is pure white in color.

8. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    As you've noticed by now there are two key words when talking about DE. #1> FOOD GRADE #2> CAUTION

A little DE goes a long way. If you are using so much that it causes trouble breathing or discomfort that's too much. I use an old flour sifter and like Yay Chicks I sift a very light amount on the roosts,nest boxes and on top of the bedding. It really helps keep down the smell and flies in warm weather.

As a side note, I've been taking a tablespoon of DE mixed in a glass of juice most every night for a few weeks now and I've noticed a distinct improvement in an intestinal issue I've had for a couple of years. I don't seem to need the Zantac now and that's a good thing. Also noticed some other improvements but not enough evidence yet to comment much.

Larry

9. love2chicken

Jan 19, 2011
    graham,washington
    should you wear gloves when putting it down. It's no good if it gets wet. so putting it in my run that has a dirt floor that is damp it wont work????? [​IMG]

10. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Quote:You have a dirt floor in your run?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by