diatomatious earth

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RobRoo, Dec 20, 2011.

1. RobRoo

RobRoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    Western Montana
    Has anyone out there had any experience using diatomatious earth as a natural lice control dust bath???? I have read a little about it but have not heard from folks that have used it.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I use it BUT it does NOT take care of lice-many others have the same experience. It keeps my DLM nice and dry--good for dustbathing mixed with other things-thats its:(

3. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I use it as fly deterrent in the summer. If I ever have lice or mites I'm going straight for sevin dust.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I used it on a case of mites on a broody. Usually my chickens dust bathe to control external parasites. You have to watch broodies and roosters more closely for parasites, because they aren't as good about dust bathing as a non-broody hen.

I've never had lice on my chickens. Someone on the forum posted on the forum about having success treating a chicken that had lice with DE. I think a couple of people may have posted.

When you use something like Sevin dust, the dust is just a carrier for the poison, to distribute it. When you use DE, the DE is not a poison. It works by smothering the insects and drying them out. For that to work on an active case, you need to use more of it than you would if you were using Sevin dust. You want to really coat the feathers and get down to the skin.

I always make sure my chickens have at least one dust bath that's covered to keep out rain, so it's dry. We have heavy clay here and get a lot of rain. Chickens can't dust bathe in mud or a clump of damp clay. Since I did that, they haven't had a problem with mites.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use it mainly to control the flies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by