Dickey Hatcher Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by madamwlf, May 15, 2011.

1. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have a 2x2 Dickey incubator and I have eggs going into lockdown later this week. The hatcher part is big compare to the few eggs I'm putting into it. Do any of you who have a Dickey lay down foam strips or something to keep the eggs from rolling around when the tray is pulled out or chicks hatch???? Thanks!

2. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    I have the Dickey 3x1.... I just lay the eggs on the bottom. I do not recommend egg cartons, I tried that this last hatch and there is not enough head room for the chicks to get out and then some of the dummies wedged themselves on top of hatching egg etc... It was not pretty. And I was beyond stressed !
    I suppose you could put some of that rubber self liner down or something. I didn't [​IMG]

Good Luck [​IMG]

3. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    How was the egg rolling when you pulled the hatcher out???

4. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    The eggs roll all over, the hatched chicks roll them all over..... that is why I tried the egg cartons. If anyone has a better solution I would love to hear about it. [​IMG]

5. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I was looking to do the foam strips that are used with A/C window units. The strips are sticky on one side so that it stays in place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by