Dickey Incubator???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmerboy247, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Farmerboy247

Farmerboy247 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    Ramona,CA
    i have had this incubator in the barn for years and thought it was just some home made job but upon further investigation i belive it to be a Dickey, but it has no turner, only three trays, it has the electric and wafer thermostats. it has no id tag or makers mark but i think i can see where the tag was on the door, the Dickey website dosent help much when trying to figure out what ive got even though it looks very similar to them, so im hoping that i can get some help here, id like to hear from people who have them. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    It's not a incubator it is a HATCHER. Looks like a dickey though.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    It is a hatcher, but you could use it as an incubator if you were able to hand turn the eggs three times a day, minimum. If that sounds like too much trouble, and you wanted to sell it to a fellow BYC'er and take that money and buy yourself a smaller incubator, drop me a PM. I have the Dickey incubator to match that hatcher. Sure could use it right about now... [​IMG]

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    You could just put some turners on the racks...

5. Farmerboy247

Jan 1, 2011
    Ramona,CA
    would i be able to get the parts to convert it to an auto turner incubator?

6. IdealisticRoo

IdealisticRoo Chicken Tender

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    Quote:Measure the slide-out trays and check and see what a GQF or LG turner is size-wise, I think they are about 18" square.

One of them is about $50 and you could just sit it on the wire mesh tray.

Nice find - that is a great unit!

I agree that it is a hatcher, not an incubator, doesn't look like it was ever intended to have turners.

7. Farmerboy247

Jan 1, 2011
    Ramona,CA
    well i emailed Dickeys and sent a picture, 250.15 for the parts, plus shipping, and the parts would have to be modified as the hatchers are not as tall as the incubators...and ideas or suggestions other than getting auto turners for the foam bators and making them work? i think useing those would cut down on the ammount of eggs i could put in there. and i dont have the time to hand turn as often as they need it [​IMG] what to do? unless sombody has an extra bator they would want to trade? i know i cant sell this unit and replace it for the same price

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    just keep it. Buy a couple bigger incubators without hatching trays, and use the hatcher as it was intended? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by