dickey vs. sportsman opinions needed

apc

Songster
10 Years
Nov 4, 2009
Chickland, Il
Im ready to take the plunge and get a cabinet bator, but Im stuck on these two. What are their differences, what do you like/dislike? Any insight would be great!

I've never used the Dickey, but I have a Sportsman 1502 and it's great. When I set it up and plugged it in, I checked the control to a calibrated thermometer and hygrometer and they were spot on out of the box. The only thing I don't like about the Sportsman is that it's not insulated. Uses more energy than it could if a few more bucks were put into it's cabinet. A homemade incubator made from an old refrigerator would actually work more efficiently if you took the extra time to make it.

I have a Dicky incubator, and I love it. I have a GQF too, an older one 1502 and it's good too. I know in the Dicky I have hatched Seramas,all types of chickens, pheasant, quail, peafowl, ducks, geese, turkey.... all with very good hatch rate. I'm new to using the GQF but it's doing well too. I like that the door hinges on the door are in the front rather then on the side, makes it a little easier to open for us lazy people, hehe and I don't have to use sponges in the water holder. Other than that I think they are about the same in build etc....

I saw a thread on here a while back about some people having issues with mold growing in their Dicky??? Maybe someone can chime in with details...
hmm.png

Thats a tough pick. I have both and neither one ever lets me down. My heating element did break last year in my GQF but it runs pretty much none stop all year every year.

Quote:
I was asking because I am building a cabinet I was going to try uninsulated first I am using 3/4 plywood . I am building so insulating would be fairly easy if it does,nt meet my expectations . thanks

Quote:
I've had my Dickey for a little over a year now, and have not had that problem. I hadn't heard of it until now. I've got the bator and hatcher, and am very happy with both. Dickey builds a great incubator-very well made, and the customer service is great. I would highly recommend it.

Quote:
I know a few people with both and they like them equally. The mold problem has came up with the Dicky, but this was causes by not cleaning the unit properly. Not fault of the equipment. We used to have mold problems with our walk in bators and hatchers, we could never seem to clean out all the corners and get them dry. Then we started using a pressure washer and forced air propane heaters. No more mold.

Back
Top Bottom