Dickey's Hatcher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littlelady, Feb 24, 2012.

1. littlelady

littlelady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    East Texas
    I just got a used Dickey's hatcher. I have 2 GQF cabinet incubators and am very excited to get this hatcher. It seems to be in good working order. I just cranked it up last night. The only problem I can see is that the trays did not have the covers for them. I know the chicks can't fall out through the sides but I think they could possibly fall from the back or the front. Does anyone know where I can get 5 covers for the 5 trays?

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I use a sportsman hatcher and while the tray covers work great for quail I think they have way too little headroom for chicks. I built hardware cloth fences that sit at the front and rear of my hatching trays.There's a couple of pix in my uploads file below my profile.

3. littlelady

Jan 30, 2012
    East Texas
    Hey, THANKS...What a great idea. I even have the hardware cloth so this will save me some $. I am really excited now.

4. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    You can always order the tray covers from the Dickeys website. The website is www.dickeysincubators.com and go to the pricing page at the very bottom is a link for parts. They are $12.50 ea.

I have a Dickeys Incubator and Hatcher and love them both. My hatch rates have never been so good.

[​IMG]

Lanae

5. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    This is what caused me to devise the "fences". With a hatcher full of various different breeds carefully marked and segregated to individual trays I came home from work to find this.

[​IMG]

6. cashdl

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    They are all looking like " What, we were just ya know, visiting". LOL!

Lanae

7. littlelady

Jan 30, 2012
    East Texas
    Thanks Lanae. Now do these covers fit high enough for the chicks to have head room? I cranked up the hatcher Saturday morning and so far it is keeping perfect temp and humidity. I will move my eggs from my incubators to the hatcher on Thursday, March 1. Can't wait.

8. littlelady

Jan 30, 2012
    East Texas
    Oh my...I sure don't want that to happen. I also have been very careful to mark the eggs and trays with breed. I will make fences before I move the eggs on Thursday.
    Thanks. Those are sure some cute chicks.

9. cashdl

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I would say head room depends on the size of your breed. I have Araucana and they can run around in there but they do bump there little heads on the cover. I am thinking about calling Mr. Dickey and seeing if I can get hatching trays that are maybe an inch bigger. I think they will still fit in the tray slot but then there will be more room for some of my bigger chicks.

Now I don't think dbcooper02s chicks will fit with the tray lid on, either that or the GQF has especially small hatching trays.

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by