Dicreased egg production, can't figure out why????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Double T, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Double T

Double T Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    W Texas
    Ok I need some input. I have currently 7 hens of laying age. I may get 3 or 4 eggs a day but ususally 2 or none. I can't figure out what the deal is. My chickens are all in together, complete with the younger ones, all get along. They are fed free choice Layena, as much as they want (about 3 cans a day or so). I keep oyster shell mixed with the feed also. Fresh clean water, a flake of alfalfa for them to peck at since they dont' get out (between preditors and our dogs and cats it's not an option). We have had record heat of the triple digits down ehre, and I don't know if that is the problem or not. I've taken to spraying down the pen so it's cooler for them, and misting them and they dig and fluff after I do it. Am I missing anything??? I don't have any egg peckers. And they were laying like 5-6 eggs a day when i first got them in April, of course it was cooler then too. Any ideas?????

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    We have had record heat of the triple digits down ehre, and I don't know if that is the problem or not.

That alone will do it. August is my worst production month here in Florida simply because it's been so hot and humid for so long that the girls won't eat enough to lay at a high rate of production. Plus, the older birds are getting ready to molt so their production goes down even further.

The alfalfa is good if they can't get any fresh green feed. Don't feed anything else because Layena is already pretty minimal on protein. Egg production is a function of feed consumption, especially protein, and when its blazing hot it's hard to get them to eat enough to keep production up.

3. Double T

Double T Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    W Texas
    thanks they've been this way all summer since about June, it has been so hot, and I've about been wracking my brain trying to figure out why, well that and I bought so many hoping I could produce enough eggs to cover the feed bill. I know the majority of my hens aren't even old enough yet, but I'm fastly going in the hole over it. lol I'll be glad when they do pick back up, we LOVE fresh eggs, lol and lately have been having to ration them he he. But over all they seem like happy chickens. Other than being hot.

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    It is the heat.
    Not only do they eat less, but, they use their moisture just trying to keep cool.
    Chilled watermelon is a favorite treat for summer that helps cool em down.
    A shallow pan or plastic container with just enough ice water to cover their feet is another great trick to help them cool off. Their feet heat up like hot coals from the parched ground.

Hang in there, the summer must end soon as we are in August. Before ya know it fall will come and the girls will get back to providing breakfast!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by