did a float test ... results confusing

Discussion in 'Quail' started by titika, Jan 7, 2014.

1. titika

titika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2013
    I did a float test on a few of my coturnix eggs before lock down. Most of them sank slowly... kinda confused as to what that means? I just put them all in the incubator to play it safe. I would rather wait it out and see then find out I tossed out live chicks. I candled a few that sank slowly and I can't see through the egg but there are a few red veins visible in a couple....

2. lshytle

lshytle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    If they sink, they are not alive. But, they were once alive.

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

This should be clear about everything involved. I don't candle or float test so I can't be much help other than to direct you to that thread. Even if you find that you have a lot of bad eggs don't give up on hatching, it is skill that is developed only by trial and error.

4. titika

Dec 21, 2013
    I'm starting to wonder if i should just get a new incubator. I bought this one used and it works but I'm thinking it's allowing the temperature to fluctuate too much. It'll drop about 5 degrees before it kicks back on. I don't know if that's the issue or not. I just really want to hatch some eggs

5. dc3085

That is way too much temperature fluctuation. My thermostat only allows about 3/4-1 degree before it kicks on. Can you take a picture of the inside of the incubator? I could probably tell you how to just change the thermostat instead of buying a whole new one.

6. titika

Dec 21, 2013
    Do they sell just thermostats for incubators?

7. dc3085

Yeah, you can buy incubator part of all sizes and styles. I've never bought a factory unit I've always just made my own. My favorite thermostat if you have the space to fit is the GQF wafer thermostat. It is used in the Hovabator which is a popular machine so they can usually be had for $20-25 on either the GQF website or amazon. If you cannot fit the GQF you will need an electronic and they get a little pricey.

This is one of my incubators made from an old mini fridge, a couple pc fans, a heating element, a gqf thermostat and some turning racks. All incubators contain the same basic parts so its no big deal to interchange any part that you can make work.

[​IMG]

8. titika

Dec 21, 2013
    I might try building my own incubator and see how that goes. I really want some chicks. I've heard a lot of success stories of people using a heating pad and plastic totes too... I hatched chicken eggs in a cardboard box with a heating pad but they aren't as fragile as quail...

9. dc3085

The ice chest bators are easiest to build but if you want to put a turner in them you have to cut it down to only three rows (which still turns 60 quail eggs)

Next easiest would be the mini fridge probably (i do full service construction so building in general comes easy to me) but i did a lot of minor little customizations to it so if you know anyone that does construction you may want to enlist them. At least for the cutting of the holes and the wiring even though it is super simple. Mainly you will need a drill or impact driver and a dremel or angle grinder.

Do a little research and if you decide to build one feel free to ask if you have any questions. I have a pile of parts here to make another bator maybe I'll do a how to video I have been meaning to for a while.

10. titika

Dec 21, 2013
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by