Did a hawk swoop in and steal my chicken without leaving any feathers?

PipeSmokeMcGee

Chirping
10 Years
May 8, 2012
I've got my first 4 hens, all at 17 weeks. This morning, I let them out of their coop to "free range" in about a 12x15 area that is fenced in. I live in an relatively urban area, and in the hour between changing their water and coming back to check on them, one was missing. They've never tried to fly off/run away...and there is no sign of a struggle.

There is a hawk in the neighborhood...could this be it?

Thank you so much,

Ben

By no stretch of the imagination am I an expert on this, but I can't imagine any hawk carrying away a chicken that big. My birds are at 15 weeks and out all day everyday, and the hawks must have seen them, but no problems,,,,yet. Hawks just aren't that big or heavy, regardless of their wingspan, and I think you'ld of heard some screaming. I'll bet she 'flew the coup' and is lost, and is hunkered down waiting to be rescued. Maybe ask your neighbors if you can take a stroll through their yard.

RIGHT ON! Thanks man...I had looked around our yard and bushes and some of the neighbors when I first noticed, but about 4 hours later, I found her 2 doors down. Thanks a lot...glad she's alright.

Back
Top Bottom