DId a make a chicken buying rookie mistake?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mollyd, Apr 21, 2012.

1. mollyd

mollyd New Egg

Apr 21, 2012
    Hi there! I am trying to help my daughters start a fancy chicken 4h project and just bought them 6 cochin pullets. I answered a craigslist ad and was connected to a really nice guy who has a poultry business. I found out while picking the 3wk old pullets that he was not a breeder, but purchased the chickens already sexed in bulk. In hindsight, after making the purchase I feel I should have gone to an actual breeder that was commited to maintaining breed standards. Did I make a 42$ mistake?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Probably. Most breeders cannot do vent sexing. It is just not something we know, or can easily learn. The other alternative is sexlink breeding, and that is not to standard.

Sorry, next time inquire more about your breeder, and ask to see photos of his adult flock. FWIW, most serious breeders do not sell chicks.

3. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I think the above post meant "pre sexed" chicks. Breeders usually sell straight run meaning they could be male or female. For 4H these should be fine at the time being especially if she's being judged on her knowledge of the breed. Think of this as a good learning experience for her to see if she is going to want to take it to the next step and have her birds judged against others of the same breed.

4. mollyd

mollyd New Egg

Apr 21, 2012
    Thank you so much for your reply. That makes me feel so much better!

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    No, I meant what I said. If the 4H club and county extension poultry programs emphasize production or meat birds, then hatchery birds are fine. If the emphasis is exhibition, then purchasing birds from a breeder is FAR the better choice. It costs just as much to raise a bird that is far from the standard as it does to raise one that is very close to the standard. Yes, it will probably cost a bit more, but even raising ans selling one seasons' set of offspring will make up for the initial outlay. And in most cases it isn't THAT much more. Especially when you consider the much higher costs for most other kids activities: sports, dance, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by