Did a naked dance for my neighbors yesterday.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cyanne, Oct 27, 2008.

1. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Gee, I wish I could say that was just a fake title to get people to look...

So, here's how it all went down:

I was out in my suburban backyard, collecting some rocks to put over the potting soil around my lemon and lime trees to keep my chickens from digging out the roots as they LOVE to do. [​IMG]

Suddenly I felt a sharp stinging in several places on my hands and realized that one of the rocks I had picked up was covered in FIRE ANTS!!! [​IMG]

I dropped the rocks and started swatting at the ones that were gnawing on my hands and wrists...then I felt a sting on my throat and flailed at that area as well. I looked down to see if there were any more and realized that the whole front of my tank top was COVERED in fire ants, so off came the shirt.

Of course I wasn't wearing a bra (hey, it was a weekend! ), but I was too busy slapping ants off of myself to care much about modesty. [​IMG]

I made it to the back porch before losing my pants, and left a trail of ant-covered clothes across the lawn.

Meanwhile, my husband was standing in the back yard laughing his a$$ off, and my chickens were all standing around staring at me like I'd lost my mind!

I can only hope that none of my neighbors (or their kids) were out in their back yards or looking out the window at the time of my "show!"

2. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Good Job!!!!!! I lived in South Fl. for years I have a healthy respect for fire ants.

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Are you ok? Those things leave biiig whelps on me. Now that I know you're fine, if not a wee bit embarrassed,

[​IMG]

I do feel for you, though. I've been into fire ants like that and it's no picnic.

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I can't wait to see it on youtube. [​IMG]

5. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Yeah, I'll live...though I have a blister in each place where they bit. One of the little buggers got me right on the throat...like he was going for my jugular.

They are vicious!

Also, it never fails to amaze me how fast they can spread out and attack. It was literally just a few seconds from the time I picked up the rock until they were able to get all over and start biting the snot out of me! And their bites are a lot more painful than regular ants. Grrrrr! I hate those things!

6. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    [​IMG]

Ouch, Ive never met a fire ant! Our little tiny black ants have a bit of a nip to them that is annoying enough.

7. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I still deal with them. I live in southwest Ga. I remember as a kid the ants would build these huge mounds that of course all us kids just had to destroy and stir them up. Seems to me they got smart, now the build pretty much low to the ground. Now when your standing in your yard before you know it your doing the fire ant dance..Only I dont feel so embarrassed because 9 times out of 10 I've seen the neighbors do it also [​IMG]

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Quote:we had big red ants in our yard that built those big mounds. They bite too. My dad would poke a big stick in and make a hole, pour in some diesel and ignite. Did that I think 3 times before they gave up.

9. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I love this website. I don't think I would hear these stories anywhere else [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Ouch! Good thing DH wasn't holding a video camera!

I was lying in bed in my college dorm half-asleep, feeling very minor itchy stings on my legs. I ignored it, thinking it was a slight sunburn or that new sheet feeling, but it crept up until my whole body was feeling it.

I threw back the covers to find the bed completely overrun with tiny black sugar ants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by