Did a Turkey sneak in our nest or... (Pics)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Manningjw, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Well we had our very first HUGE egg this week, presumed double yolker. Our Red Star who has now laid an egg 49/50 days since her very first egg [​IMG] somehow managed to squeeze this egg out. I am not entirely sure how she did it as small as she is compared to others in the flock.

Here is the egg next to a store bought egg and one of our smaller eggs, and no that carton absolutely cannot close.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture next to the X-large egg she normally lays:

[​IMG]

Here is our now favorite hen the Red Star, front and center:

[​IMG]

2. idispatch4911

idispatch4911 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    HOLY MOLY! Triple yolker??

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    yes, please post pics when you open this one up!

4. Jobele

Jobele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Texas
    Wow!!!! Man, that had to hurt!!!!!

5. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Quote:Will do! I am sure it's just a double but wow that beast of an egg amazed us. Not to mention she still laid an egg the day right after (today) like clock work. We wouldn't have been at all dissapointed if she decided to take a day or more off after that one [​IMG].

6. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    she definately deserves some major pampering and lots of treats after that monster egg!

7. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    I had the same thing! That is a GINORMOUS egg! I called mine the Baby Huey egg! Baby Huey is a gigantic and naïve duckling cartoon character. That has to be a triple threat! Hats off to the gal who made it! It just looks so funny sitting in the egg carton! Kind of like the movie Elf, when Buddy is in the North Pole with the elves... Nice.

8. WishboneDawn

WishboneDawn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    And that's why I love my sex links! [​IMG] I know the heritage breeds are pretty but it's my sex links that produce consistently, always have BIG eggs and can charm the dickens out of me as easily as some of my fancier birds.

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Scares the poop out of me when they do that. The RSLs are rather known for it.

Glad when they stop doing it, frankly. Ouch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    any of you with the huge eggs have a roo in with your girls? You should try hatching one of the giant eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by