Did anyone ever get a pnuemonia vaccine?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I went for my yearly physical and my doctor was surprised that I have never gotten a pnuemonia vaccine. I didn't even know they existed! She said as a diabetic I should definitely get one so she had the nurse come in and give me one after she saw me. Apparently they are good for five years.

My brother and dad seem to get pnuemonia quite often and I'm curious why I've never heard of this vaccine before.

2. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Yes!

every couple years.

No problems with vaccine,

had pnuemonia about 10 years back, none since vaccine.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I got one about 4 years ago when I was diagnosed. Having worked in Healthcare forever I knew there was a vaccine, just didn't realise it was a one time shot. Thought it was an annual thing. I'm surprised you were told 5 years??? Are you type 1? Maybe that's it?

Imp

4. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I am not sure, I had to get one two years ago. diabetic as well. Had never heard of it either. She also made me get a flu shot and a booster on my tetnus. Ah well... I still feel fine.

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, the nurse definitely said five years. I am prone to sinus infections and I know those can quickly turn into pnuemonia so I figured it was probably a good vaccine to get. I am type 1 and usually I'm badgered to get every vaccine out there. I managed to avoid the flu shots this year though because I just don't like the sound of them! The only time I ever had the flu was the same year I got the vaccine! Luckily I'm healthy enough that I usually overcome sicknesses fairly quick.

I had to get a tetanus booster in october for a trip I was going on and boy was that shot a killer. My entire side was sore from that thing, and I remember my fingers got numb. It went away after a day or so, but the pain in my neck and back was terrible!

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yeah that tetanus is a bit nasty. I too am badgered to get about every vaccine, think I've gotten them all except gardasil. [​IMG]

I did a little googling and seems most people only need 1 pnuemonia, guess you are lucky. [​IMG]

Imp

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

My Gran used to get one, and I think my Mom now is... but I haven't had to.

8. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    never had pnuemonia so didn't see a need to get one,infact i dont take most meds that where given to me didnt see the point in taking antibiotics for a sore throat.

9. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Im diabetic and my endocronologist was pretty firm about me getting a pnuemia shot. I was told you get one then a second one at the 5 year mark then your done for life. She also told me to get a shingles shot and I didnt since it was $269.00. Im really sorry I didnt since I got shingles from stress after my husband was diagnosed with cancer, and now its recurrent with me. I also ended up with post shingles nueraligia in my trigeminal nerve. I listen pretty closely now when they say get vaccinated.

10. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I had Pnuemonia about 7 years ago. Gosh, did it take me down - I'm very active and it really opened my eyes as to how quickly an illness can take you down. I've had a Pnuemonia vaccine twice since. They tell me that the shot I've been given lasts three years. I haven't had any issue since. I plan to continue to get them. I also have Asthma - but it is well controlled these days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by