Did anyone read the National Geographic for February?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CrestedGirl, Mar 26, 2011.

1. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    In the National Geographic for February there was a photo on the very last page of a lady with a black-tailed white Japanese bantam rooster on her head. It was taken in April, 1926 at the the Chicago pet and poultry show. I thought that was interesting.

2. Ferrret

Ferrret Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Michigan
    This picture? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FEATHERS IN HER CAP
    Stylish Mae Vavrea tops off her turban with a black-tailed white Japanese bantam rooster at the Chicago Poultry and Pet Show in 1926. Though not published in the story, this photo was probably acquired for the Geographic's April 1927 article "America's Debt to the Hen." In it author Harry R. Lewis notes, "For untold centuries the hen has been a companion of man in the onward march of civilizationÂ…The hen might be termed a universal favorite, in that a greater number of persons are interested and actually concerned with poultry than with any other form of live stock." No mention was made of the bird, however, as headgear.
    —Margaret G. Zackowitz

It is an amusing picture! [​IMG]

3. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

Just read that this week in my chiropractors office.

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Yes that pic, I am amazed that it stayed up there. Thanks for posting that pic. [​IMG]

5. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Saw it. It looks silly, but hey, it's a CHICKEN, and that's what matters. [​IMG] Right?

6. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    What I'd like to know is how she came about with this idea. Dressing up for photo shoot, dress: check, hair covering: check, broach pin: check, liptick: check. "Gee, something's missing... hmm..... Darling!? Oh Darling? DO go out to the chicken shed and bring me that fancy little rooster I find so quaint......"

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]

That is why I LOVE you Laurajean, your posts just crack me up. It's why you should write a book... I'd buy it for the giggles.

8. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire

That is why I LOVE you Laurajean, your posts just crack me up. It's why you should write a book... I'd buy it for the giggles.

I hope when you read it to yourself you used a ridiculous high pitched southern drawl.... because that's how I heard it in my head as I wrote it.

Thanks. [​IMG]

(Still plotting a book or blog or something.....)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  9. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010

I hope when you read it to yourself you used a ridiculous high pitched southern drawl.... because that's how I heard it in my head as I wrote it.

Thanks. [​IMG]

We're still lurking, and waiting.......[​IMG]

10. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I hope when you read it to yourself you used a ridiculous high pitched southern drawl.... because that's how I heard it in my head as I wrote it.

Thanks. [​IMG]

We're still lurking, and waiting.......[​IMG]

Hmmm...... don't know if that's flattering, or creepy. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by