Did anyone watch Nightline last night? LOCAVORES

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tiki244, May 16, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    About the family in California who raises all their food on 1/5 acre in suburban Pasadena (I think it was Pasadena)? That was so cool. I saw a couple of small goats in the clip and a chicken. Looked like a D Uccle to me. It said they lived on $30K a year, sold their Xtra produce locally and sold eggs. Outdoor shower with solar heat. Solar panels on roof. Oh yeah bio diesel car $1 gallon for "gas" made from used vegie oil. They are LOCAVORES the new word of the new age!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now that is the way to go [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Very cool! I'm jealous - I wish I could do all that too but I'm not sure I have it in me. By the way how do you pronounce Locavores?

3. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Pronouned like localvore, but without the second "l". At least that is my take on it.

Cool. I found their website a few years ago and was totally in admiration of what they've done. They live in a good region for harvesting solar energy and with a long growing season. I think if you live outside of such an area, you have to realize you won't be able to do quite so much with so little land as they have. But, it is a great example to try to emulate, that's for sure!

4. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:I wish I had wind power - we have a well and the thought of being without water if there was no electricity really bugs me. I want one of those wind powered well pumps!!!

This is my first year at raising food - I'm stoked - but still very unsure.

5. TheMartianChick

TheMartianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't see the episode, but I would love to emulate them. I hope that I can find some clips on the Dateline website.

6. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    That is very cool!
    I just started reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. Her family did basically the same thing in Virginia.
    I have been very interested in this for a while now. I hope to be able to do the same thing someday.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The family has been featured in a few magazines too. They also have a website. They did not come into this overnight. Their style of life was worked toward for several years and perfected into what it is now.

8. DrakeMaiden

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Quote:I hear ya! Our priority is to get access to our well without electricity. We are considering a hand pump that can be installed in-line with the regular well pump. We've thought about wind and solar, but would probably need to do both in tandem. It may be possible long-term, but right now we need a relatively cheap way to tap the well in power outages. The idea of being without water freaks me out. [​IMG] I guess that makes me kinda ducky in nature.

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My well is the original well, hand dug, stone lined, when my house was built almost 100 yrs ago. We can drop a bucket and hoist water if we have to. [​IMG]

10. DrakeMaiden

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Is there anything you DON'T have and CAN'T do, MissPrissy? [​IMG] Needless to say, I'm just jealous. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by