did first meaties today-glad/sad

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chooniecat, Nov 8, 2009.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    my son and I killed/skinned 11 meaties in less than 3 hours and I feel everything went well except we need to learn more chicken anatomy,I think. we have watched the custer family farms chicken processing many times and altho that helped its never as easy as it looks(at first) I was only able to kll 3 and will have to construct a cone for next time because my sons technique was too hard for me. we worked well together and I think it was a good thing for us to do together. unfortunately it was almost 70 outside and the yellow jackets were bothering us. live and learn. one of the pullets is in the crockpot and it smells great-hope it tastes that way!

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Yay for you & your son too! That's an impressive number to have done on your first attempt. Many folks usually let the birds rest in the refrigerator for at least a day before cooking in order for the rigor to pass, but I hope your hen comes out tender tonight. You both deserve a delectable meal!

Having killing cones can be handy for holding the birds while they are cut & bled. But another easy alternative is to use twine or zip-ties to tie the birds' feet together & hang them from a hook somewhere like a tree branch or fence board. You can also use duct tape to keep their wings from reflexively flapping which I try to prevent since it makes the blood splatter all around.

Be sure to call us when supper's ready! [​IMG]

3. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    :lol:more great duck tape uses. and I am resting 10 in fridge and had no room for more so am cooking and will probably have to put on porch(40 degrees tonight) because I do NOT have a pest problem(thats another story and I DO like pests actually, I have discouraged them ,is all) why is it people used to go out and do a chicken for dinner that night? was it tough then? I don't know anyone else that has done this so we didn't get any help(other than all the support on here, of course) it was interesting and I AM sooo proud my son helped me a little(too much and I'd bite) and he got thru all of my weeping. thanx for support!

4. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I understand you're feeling sad, but remember, those birds you raised had a good life! Meaties can't be pets, a wack of roosters can't be pets and too many hens can't be pets!
    We had 7 roos to kill and we did one last weekend. It went ok, I thought I would be disturbed but I was not. Be interesting to see how I feel about the other 6 being killed all at once, especially since one is a "favorite". At least he had a good life! Quality of life counts for much more than anything else.
    As far as waiting until the rigor has passed...... our one we did last weekend tasted better than any chicken I ever tasted and rigor had not yet passed. I brined him in herbs, sea salt and sugar then cooked him in a cast iron roast pot for an hour with some water and vegetables. Delicious! My only reservation..... my husband insists on referring to the chickens' name. In fact, we have "Oreo" broth in the freezer and tomorrow we are having Oreo soup!![​IMG]

5. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    ha ha- I made 'kazoo" soup with a 5 month old NHR cockerel appx. 2 months ago as "kazoo" , named for the first sounds he made, turned into quite the naughty boy and I didn't hate him like some would but I understood its not pleasant to be surprise attacked from under a car. so I ate kazoo soup for a week and the meatie pullet I immediatelly cooked is DELICIOUS! just went to the crock and OMG it was shocking how I drooled. son is more hesitant but will hit him up in the a.m. before his long day at school.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by