1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did I accidentally kill it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kaitie09, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Broody hatched one egg and then abandoned the nest. I took the eggs she was sitting on and put them under the another broody 2 days ago. I went out to collect eggs this morning and found one buried under the pine shavings in an empty nesting box. I was not really paying attention so I took them all in to rise off, when I noticed that one of them had a faded black mark on it. I thought it was a speck so I was trying to scrub it off and it was shaking when I felt the body move inside the egg. I immediately stopped washing it, and ran out to put in under the broody again.

Did I kill the chick by shaking the egg? I could clearly hear the beak or head hit the side of the egg.

I wanted to add the the temperatures around here have been in the 90s with high humidity, and the nights have been about 70 degrees.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:You probably didn't kill it but you should never wash or even scrub an egg . They have a protective coating on them so bacteria can't get in. The last sentence I didn't understand, so I can't answer. Good luck.
    Are you sure she abandon the nest maybe she was thirst or hungary. The last 3 days they don't get off nest.
    Michele

3. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I only scrubbed it because I thought there was something on it. Normally I run them under water just from habit. They immediately go into he fridge and are eaten within a couple days anyways. I know she broke mainly because after the first one hatched ,she took the chick down to the floor and left them all there. We left the eggs in there for a day, and when we realized she was not going back to them, we took them and put them under our other broody.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Oic just for future I.won't sash before you set. Is the other brood still sitting on them I hope they hatch. Good luck

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I moved a broody a day after she left her nest, but didn't take the leftover eggs out. the next day another chick hatched out. Our temps are similar to yours. Shaking probably wouldn't have hurt anything, but the chick might not be strong enough anyway to come out after low temps for several days. Just give it time and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by