1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did I bake my eggs? Can someone help please?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pamcraig, Nov 21, 2009.

1. pamcraig

pamcraig New Egg

Nov 21, 2009
    Hello. This is my first post. I have enjoyed getting much info from this forum and site as my son has been preparing for his school science project. Yesterday the eggs went in the incubator--Little Giant Still Incubator. We got the temperature regulated fairly well prior to putting in the eggs but was having to tweak it a bit it seemed. Well, last night, after turning them, I "tweaked" the temp a bit too much! I awoke this morning to see the thermometer at 110 degrees! Oh my! So did I totally ruin them? They were at this temperature for probably 5-6 hours. I am so bummed. I'm afraid now out of 21 eggs, he will have 0 hatch! I appreciate your help. THanks!

2. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Hmm, it's a little early to tell. I had something similar happen with mine. Mine spiked to 107 overnight. I thought for sure I killed them, but I candled last night and I still have 13 good ones! So, I'd keep incubating!

3. pamcraig

pamcraig New Egg

Nov 21, 2009
    Thank you for your quick reply. I was so bummed about this when I awoke. My son is actually excited about his science fair project this year! Maybe there is still hope! Thanks!

4. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    I kept mine at 101.5 when it was a still and I had fairly good hatches. My DS added a computer fan to mine this fall and now I have had great hatches. You need to keep the temp at 101.5 for still air and 99.5 for circulated. I had a few times with still air that spiked but always had good hatches, so don't give up on them yet. LG still air do seems to fluctuate quite a bit.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by