Did I "bantamize" her?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rodriguezpoultry, Nov 11, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'm afraid this bird is a bantam...or that I may have caused her to be a bantam. She was sold to me as a largefowl Polish pullet. She is a polish pullet, but largefowl?

Please take into consideration that my view of largefowl may be skewed. Here is a photo of her next to Langshans that are a week younger than she is:

[​IMG]

2. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Hatchery quality birds are usually always smaller, I have a super tiny buff brahma that is around the size of a bantam.

3. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Quote:How does one 'bantamize' an already-living bird?

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    [​IMG] I was being a smart-arse.

But, witholding food, low lighting, etc. can cause a bird not to grow to it's full potential. I did not do this as I wanted my own birds to grow to their full potential.

Fire, you're right. I'd completely forgotten that she was purchased as hatchery quality. It just blows my mind the difference...I mean, I figured the difference in the breeds alone was one thing, but I was leaving out the hatchery thing too. Daggum...she won't be able to be bred at all by any of my males. Ah well, that's what AI is for.

ETA: I have bolded my answer how to decrease the innate size of a bird, but I do not condone it and is not, in my eyes, an ethical practice.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  5. PortugalBreeder

PortugalBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:How does one 'bantamize' an already-living bird?

lol... curious about that to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by