1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did I break or kill my chick's toe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OminousOctagon, Dec 6, 2014.

1. OminousOctagon

OminousOctagon New Egg

Dec 6, 2014
    We recently got our first shipment of chicks, and I noticed one had curled toes. I followed the advice I found and made a tiny splint with the stretchy gauze. When I went back a few days later to change the bandage so it wouldn't be poo covered, it seemed like I had wrapped it too tight or maybe broken two of her toes! [​IMG] There weren't any cuts so I thought I'd give it a few days to see what happened. I think circulation is returning in the outside toe but the middle is still black. It seems to be still attached to the foot, not limp or able to be bent in any awkward directions. It doesn't seem to hurt her when I handle it, but she shakes the whole time I hold her because I'm sure she's traumatized from my attempts thus far at helping. Can anyone tell me if it looks like it's healing, broken, dead, or if I should be doing anything more? The search gave me lots of info about amputation, waiting, blue kote, but I can't tell what's actually wrong so I'm not sure what to do for her.

Her good foot:
    :[​IMG]

Right after the splint came off:
    [​IMG]

3 days later:
    [​IMG]

2. portiaraylee

portiaraylee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    Winamac, IN
    Ouchie! Poor thing!! That looks like a bruise. I wouldn't do anything as young as she is, she should bounce back fine. I have had chickens and guineas with broken hips that I was going to cull only to see them limping around and seeming resilient. Within a week, they walked a little crooked, but were just fine otherwise. You would be surprised what they can live through and bounce back from!!

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Well, the good news is... It's not infected. It's healing, whatever it is.

Even if her toenail falls off, she should still be a happy chicken. :)

MrsB

PS - If she's a relatively brand new baby, she could shake because she's away from the heat lamp when you're treating her. See if a little hair dryer action doesn't cure it. ^_^

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  4. OminousOctagon

OminousOctagon New Egg

Dec 6, 2014
    oh thank goodness! I'll just continue to watch her and let it heal. Does she need to be quarantined until it's gone or anything? She seems fine with the other chicks but I'm not sure if maybe she'd be better off separated. She's not even two weeks old so hopefully the shaking is just a chill. She's always fine before and after I'm done with her, but I am a bit worried about infection or anything so I'll keep an eye out just in case.

5. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    If the other chicks aren't bothering her, she's up and active, and exhibits no signs of distress (limping, heavy breathing, lethargy), I'd say let her be a chick and put her in with the rest. :)

If you see a marked change in her behavior, that would be the time to be alarmed.

You're doing a great job. <3

MrsB

6. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Also!!!!

[​IMG]

WELCOME!!!! :) I hope you enjoy your first (of many!) broods of chicks!

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by