Did I buy an acceptable ag lime product?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kittydoc, Aug 14, 2014.

1. kittydoc

kittydoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    Near Indianapolis
    I did some reading here and elsewhere online about the differences/uses between ag/garden lime and barn/hydrated lime. I gathered that the biggest difference was the amount of magnesium (higher in barn/hyrated lime). I want the ag/garden lime to sweeten the ground and also to mix into the feed as a calcium source.

So I picked up a bag from Home Depot, and it says it is 99% CaCO3, <1% magnesium, and 31% elemental calcium. It's labeled as a "fast acting fertilizer."

Any thoughts on whether this will be OK to use as I intend to, and not to decompose dead bodies quickly? LOL! Is there a way I can test it on myself to make sure it won't burn?

Help from those who have used lime very much appreciated. Thank you!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wish I could answer you in those terms. I've always read that it needs to be agricultural lime.

I do know that pelletized lime is fine, and this is what I buy, mostly because it is so easy to handle -- and it is not dusty. I only use it to scatter a handful in the coop now and then, for freshness, drying poop, fly and odor control, etc. It is just a bit more expensive than the dusty stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by